Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out before sunrise to Bate Bay, near Kurnell. As I was motoring along, a pod of dolphins cruised along beside the boat, jumping right next to the boat and splashing me a few times. Never has that happened before.

First drop was over a reef, that produced the maori wrasse, plus throwbacks of a small reddie, pike, baker and a small leatherjacket species I have never seen before.

When I drifted off the reef, I pulled up a few spikies that I used for baits, then pulled up the blue spots. Not big at all, with a few throwbacks over an hour or so. No wind, but a slow southerly current kept the boat moving.

There were pillies splashing about in large schools near Kurnell, so I had about a thousand casts into and around them with a small metal lure. I pulled out quite a few slimies, plus the tailor, also dropped 2 more next to the boat. I also hooked up a kingie, mid 50's, that headed straight for the bottom in 100 feet or more depth, eventually coming back up, a good fight on 12 pound but no keeper.

The pillies and slimies were feeding on small baitfish, and I assume the tailor and kingie were feeding on the pillies.

fish.jpeg.278_files_files.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work as usual Yowie, you certainly get your mixed bags happening on the early starts!

Thank you. Getting up early is not like it was when I was a teenager.  🤣