Lake Macquarie Trip Part 2

The Rev

It always amazes me how weather can change in 24 hours.  Yesterday a blowing southerly gale.  Today so much better to fish with moderate easing SE winds.

With the wife back in Sydney for the day for a course she is enrolled in - I had another day to myself to go for a fish on our Lake Macquarie holiday.  Today I headed to the Belmont Barges. I sounded up lots of bait fish and proceeded to flick the Samaki Soft plastic vibes I have been trying.  One hour of effort yielded just one 38cm flathead - what looked so promising ended up not delivering much at all.  Then again - Better than no flathead I said to myself!  Off to the drop off to try for some squid. After a few drifts I only got one and thought that I would fish the top of the tide in the shallows of the entrance channel flicking lures. That was also sadly disappointing.  Not to be out done I thought I would head over to Murray’s beach to try for the squid again having been successful there the other evening.  That was a good call.  2 hours of drifting yielded 15 squid!  What was funny was a boat pulled up and started drifting at the same time I got there but gave up after 15 minutes.  Patience does pay off some times.

All squid have been vacuum packed and into the freezer for Kingie sessions when I get back to Manly.  I’m going out again tomorrow for squid and will probably eat what we catch tomorrow night.

Cheers

The Rev

800A6093-4F62-49E7-964D-301090627623.jpeg

1B3CFE0A-F856-453B-9C79-8380135ABAD5.jpeg

• Like 13

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice effort Rev, hope you get a feed of squid to.

What jigs/colours did the damage?

thanks - Will heading out this afternoon weather permitting and should get a feed.  The squid were most active on a natural prawn colour followed by a blue. White was meant to be the colour for the lake from a few local sources I have, but it had the least amount of takes.  Sadly my new white jig that I bought for the trip got inhaled by a small pinkie snapper and it got caught in its throat.  Sadly neither the jig nor the pinkie survived the ordeal. The stainless barb tail of the job snapped off in the throat when i tried to retrieve it 😕

• 1 year later...

Shalom Rev,

I have read with interest your fishing reports on Lake Macquarie. My wife and I have just moved up here after living in Newport. Funny that you are a 'man of the cloth', hailing from Manly and giving a fishing report for Lake Macquarie. My wife served for 14 years at C3 Oxford Falls and only retired last month. I fished extensively out of Broken Bay for 30 years, as well as Little Manly and Longy. 

Now we are on a new journey and are really enjoying our time on the Lake. We intend to drum up some squid, so will no doubt venture over to Murray's Beach, as per your report and give it a shot. I don't have many GPS marks for Lake Macquarie and was wondering if you could let me know your mark for the Belmont Barges. 

I will read with interest your future reports on Port Stephens as I intend to update my boat and head out to Broughton. In the meantime, hopefully I can catch some local fish and log in a few reports of my own. Once again thanks for the report.

Blessings

Guinness    

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 8:41 AM, Guinness said:

Shalom Rev,

I have read with interest your fishing reports on Lake Macquarie. My wife and I have just moved up here after living in Newport. Funny that you are a 'man of the cloth', hailing from Manly and giving a fishing report for Lake Macquarie. My wife served for 14 years at C3 Oxford Falls and only retired last month. I fished extensively out of Broken Bay for 30 years, as well as Little Manly and Longy. 

Now we are on a new journey and are really enjoying our time on the Lake. We intend to drum up some squid, so will no doubt venture over to Murray's Beach, as per your report and give it a shot. I don't have many GPS marks for Lake Macquarie and was wondering if you could let me know your mark for the Belmont Barges. 

I will read with interest your future reports on Port Stephens as I intend to update my boat and head out to Broughton. In the meantime, hopefully I can catch some local fish and log in a few reports of my own. Once again thanks for the report.

Blessings

Guinness    

Thanks Guinness 

If you send me a PM I will send you the coordinates for the barge when I’m next at my computer. I just need to find them!

The Rev