Slimies

kane

Good day Kane, i salted down a heap a couple of weeks ago,

at $3.90 per kilo from the fish markets, thats not too bad on

the sky rocket.

The best bottom bashing bait available in my opinion.

Gaff

how do you use it, in fillets, cubes ect....

cheers

Guest hottuna

Slice from salted fillets to desired size. 60mml x 20mmw

works well with a No 2 size hook

Seems to be a bait that performs better

salted and frozen, than it does fresh.

I agree salted slimies are a gun bait. But nothing will beat a fresh "caught" fillet section of slimie mackrel

No2 hook what are we chasing undersize bream? :wacko:;)

I like at leaset a 1/0

Dan

Around Crunulla and south to Marley.

Nah they are my favourite bait.

I like to stock up a bit as it makes future fishing trips a little better and in my opinion they are up there with live squid

Kane

I have been using school prawns for bottom bashing and it's been getting on the pocket a bit. What do I ask for at the local fish shop? are they commonly known as "slimies" or is that a fisherman's jargon term?

thanks

forget the freezer dude

salt them down they make great bait and give off burley at the same time

Hi guys,

this might seem like a stupid question, but I would like to know a little more info, how much do you salt them down, how do you store them once salted and how long do you keep them. I normally only use fresh or move to SP's.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi guys,

this might seem like a stupid question, but I would like to know a little more info, how much do you salt them down, how do you store them once salted and how long do you keep them. I normally only use fresh or move to SP's.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi there,

Use rock salt which is a coarser salt than table salt. Just cover the fillets with a layer on the bottom and a layer on the top so they are lightly covered. The salt absorbs the fluids including any water and toughens it up so it is not easily torn off the hook. Salted this way in a sealed container can last for many months in the normal part of the fridge. Hide it from the :wife: in a brown paper bag :074: . Glad swordfisherman only uses sp's or hardbodies now as the container took up a lot of room in the fridge :ranting2:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Hi there,

Use rock salt which is a coarser salt than table salt. Just cover the fillets with a layer on the bottom and a layer on the top so they are lightly covered. The salt absorbs the fluids including any water and toughens it up so it is not easily torn off the hook. Salted this way in a sealed container can last for many months in the normal part of the fridge. Hide it from the :wife: in a brown paper bag :074: . Glad swordfisherman only uses sp's or hardbodies now as the container took up a lot of room in the fridge :ranting2:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

I filleted & salted them, then popped them back in the freezer to thaw back out next week. Is it wrong to place them back in the freezer? A container and fridge makes more sense but force of habit made me go for the freezer. BTW; School prawns down to $7.99/Kg Yippee haven't seen them that cheap in years!