Woronora River; Fishing with kids.

Oscarthebeagle

Took my two boys (aged 5 and 7) for a fish on Saturday on the Woronora River. Launched from Bonnet Bay about 9:30, overcast conditions and a bit of drizzle must of kept most people at home as there was only 1 trailer at the ramp.

Not much current to start with so moved down to Como bridge area to fish the change in tide, no luck there, but saw a steam train crossing the bridge which the boys liked and with the tide starting to run moved back into the Woronora. Tried a few areas before finding some fish. First keeping fish went to the 5 year old with a 36cm bream, followed by a legal flattie to me and a legal bream to the 7 year old. A few throwback bream and whiting kept the boys happy till the next good fish, a 49cm Flathead on 2kg line gave the 5 year old a good run around before finally coming to the net.

Our burley trail attracted a heap of bream, mullet and garfish which kept the boys (and me) busy, with every cast getting bites/hookups almost straight away. The better fish came from unweighted baits being cast up and out in front of the boat and drifting back with the current while the smaller fish in the trail kept everyone happy between better fish.

By about 1ish our spot was getting a bit shallow and it was time to go home. Finished up with 2 flathead, 3 bream, 2 Garfish and threw back a couple of just legal bream and a heap of little fish. Busy when we got back to the ramp with 3 trailers now!!! boys were happy to show off their fish to the other boat at the ramp and I chatted to another dad (who saw us get the flathead) what our technique was, so hopefully he can get some fish next time with his kids.  

I have taken my boys out on the Woronora a few times this summer trying to avoid the busyness and stress of Grays Point ramp/Port Hacking and have found it very relaxing. Ramps are quieter, it's all a 8 knot zone or less so no jet ski, speed boats, cruisers making noise and wash and I have been able to find a feed of fish most trips. The trade off is the water is not blue like the hacking and it doesn't have the sandy beaches for swimming, but for an easy fishing trip with young children it is perfect.

Thanks for reading 

Ash

20210227_122606_copy_800x600.jpg

20210227_115704_copy_600x800.jpg

20210227_122201_copy_600x800.thumb.jpg.d6f0ce0a57ee4b949bb37e9a59653edd.jpg

Edited by Oscarthebeagle
Add photos
  • Like 12