Port Kembla - the banks, Need help!

Fergofisher

Gday Raiders! 

This may have been covered on another forum but i cannot find this anywhere! Been launching from the main Port Kembla boat ramp and i am keen on a trip to "the banks" (Or it could be "the Traps")  from that ramp. I have heard and read of mixed stories, co ordinates & distances it is from that ramp and i am unsure where it's at! 

- Can anyone please provide the co ordinates and roughly how many km's it is from the ramp? 

- Is it just a random peak in the middle of no where or a big block of reef? 

On the hunt for a Black Marlin and want to try my luck while the water is looking good with the old faithful bridled slimy! 

Thanks all - any help is appreciated! 

Edited by Fergofisher

1 minute ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

Don't have the marks with me but I thought the "banks" referred to a spot down the coast off Culburra. 

Possibly "the hump" out off Stanwell Park is the spot you are after?

That's the thing, i have heard "The banks" been thrown around from a number of spots from off Austimer down to off Jervis.. Confusing! 

A couple of the local lads i have chatted with at the ramp said they have been fishing the banks from Port Kembla ramp

The banks is where I cought my first Black Marlin it is a large area and would be in my estimate 35-40 k's sea travel from Kembla If not a bit more. Much easier to travel by road to one of the closer ramps. When the banks pumps it's like a washing machine and not comfortable fishing at all.

Frank

• Like 1

Just now, frankS said:

The banks is where I cought my first Black Marlin it is a large area and would be in my estimate 35-40 k's sea travel from Kembla If not a bit more. Much easier to travel by road to one of the closer ramps. When the banks pumps it's like a washing machine and not comfortable fishing at all.

Frank

Thanks for the heads up and nice one! 

Could the local guys be referring to "The traps" from Port Kembla?? 

There are a couple of smaller reefs north of the banks that sometimes produce tuna of various species but Marlin are a rare catch there, would save you some sea travel, but still think you would be better off doing road k's instead of sea k's .

NoelM would be the guy to get in touch with for that area.

Frank

• Like 1

The current is running hard at the moment, so Marlin are a good chance, the "traps" refers to a place that the pros put their traps, the location varies according to the season, there's been a few Marlin around the FAD off Port Kembla, a quick google will reveal all sorts of spots around the area. The Banks is off Culburra down south, but as mentioned, there's lots of ramps closer, especially as the NE wind comes up and any ramp north will require a long rough ride back. Kiama Canyons and the shelf would be other options, launch from Port, get live bait and head out NE to the shelf and work your way back.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, noelm said:

The current is running hard at the moment, so Marlin are a good chance, the "traps" refers to a place that the pros put their traps, the location varies according to the season, there's been a few Marlin around the FAD off Port Kembla, a quick google will reveal all sorts of spots around the area. The Banks is off Culburra down south, but as mentioned, there's lots of ramps closer, especially as the NE wind comes up and any ramp north will require a long rough ride back. Kiama Canyons and the shelf would be other options, launch from Port, get live bait and head out NE to the shelf and work your way back.

Cheers mate thanks for the information.
I was referring to Trap reef which is off Port Kembla, not to far out -