Back in the NT smashing Barra

Wildcat

1 minute ago, 61 crusher said:

Great Barra, write up & photos 

I’ll go no.5  because of the dirty water as that bomber would stand out nicely in those conditions, depth can be varied by speed, height of rod tip & length of line fed out. Mind you no.2 has some good battle scars & would also suit conditions 

No.5’s a popular choice...

Very good and true points mentioned by 61 crusher. 😇

Ripper report Wildcat and smashing Barra. I’ve fished Shady camp twice and both times caught epic Barra, but 25 years ago - great to hear it is still fishing well.  I’m sure they are not available now, but the last time the Barra were caught on a blue and yellow Nilsmaster 65. I still have the lure on my wall.

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Ripper report Wildcat and smashing Barra. I’ve fished Shady camp twice and both times caught epic Barra, but 25 years ago - great to hear it is still fishing well.  I’m sure they are not available now, but the last time the Barra were caught on a blue and yellow Nilsmaster 65. I still have the lure on my wall.

Put a picture up Pickles it may still work today, I like your colours.

Hi Guys thanks for your interest in this topic, the NT sure is a magical place with wonderfull scenery and excitement around each corner.

The lucky lure of choice in this situation was No.3,

The Classic 120 Barra +5 Lure Ghost Bannafish.

Rig used

Rod: Daiwa TD Black Beefstick 1.83m 10-28g line 6-12kg.

Reel: Daiwa Baitcaster TD Barra FOW 10, 40 pound Siglon 8 braid, 60 pound Pink Black magic leader.

My reason for choosing this lure was purely the clarity and depth of water.

The tide was a medium neap and had turned at this stage from high about 1 hour into the low averaging 2.5m-3.5m, my trolling line was 1km out from the mouth and back, the water clarity was good to medium.

In this situation the Barra are starting to head into the river system from offshore, keen to feed on baits as the tide recedes out of all the feeder creeks (run off).

Barra have eyes on top of their heads and tend to sit on the bottom or around snags looking to ambush prey, or kick their tails up and forage in the mud etc.

The classic 120 I used is a +5, 5 meter trolling depth, as 61 crusher mentioned, I am going to adjust my trolling speed, rod angle and length of line to bounce this lure off the bottom, back up then back in the sand/ mud again.

As the water clarity was so clear and shallow both bait and Barra are spooked easily, so an approach to put it straight on their nose with puffs of mud was the go, not making them chase something higher in the water column.

cheers Guys.

Hey Wildcat, this is the Nilsmaster Spearhead 65 - Mullet pattern. Caught me 6 Barra trolling at Shady camp, then I retired it for fear of getting snagged and lost. In pretty good nick for 25 years old, but hasn’t been used since.

5480DAB0-2ABF-419B-997E-9A9D89E4F2E5.jpeg

BCB55DEF-837F-4532-8380-D6D5510B5370.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Addition
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hey Wildcat, this is the Nilsmaster Spearhead 65 - Mullet pattern. Caught me 6 Barra trolling at Shady camp, then I retired it for fear of getting snagged and lost. In pretty good nick for 25 years old, but hasn’t been used since.

It won't catch fish if it stays dry 🙂