Bella vista / Norwest carp

slothparade

Hi, 

has anyone tried fishing Norwest ponds? I have chucked some grass in and found some huge carp. Apparently the locals stock the ponds. 

Also what rig do people use and baitcaster or spinning? I always put a chunk of bread on and wait. This is in a stocked dam much smaller than norwest.

I didn't see any sign that said no fishing but does anyone know if its legal? 

Also how do people lure fish for them? I have seen soft plastics being used like the ones for bream, and top water for whiting. I thought something like a bass worm (like googan baits lunker log) or something like that pulled along the side of the bank would work well.

What capacity rod? I have a 2-4 1 piece shimano I do have heavier stuff but i don't think it is needed?

Also what leader would people use or any? Is 20 lb to much?

I'm no expert at fresh water. I have literally never properly fished freshwater so any help would be great :)

Carp is very strong fighting fish. You don't need any leader because carps don't have teeth, just running sinker or float with the hook. Any bait will do, bread, worm or insects. Just make small ball from bread and hide the hook inside of it. Small lure will work too. Carp is bottom feeder and eats everything. Your 2-4 shimano should be ok.

It is so many of them in that pond that it should take just couple of minutes to catch one. Cheers

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t overthink it. The carp in the area are used to being fed and would suck up anything you offer them. Start with bread and then when you get bored start experimenting with lures.

I'm assuming you’re not talking about Norwest lake near the shopping centre. There are no fishing signs at least around the built up side of the lake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I wouldn’t overthink it. The carp in the area are used to being fed and would suck up anything you offer them. Start with bread and then when you get bored start experimenting with lures.

I'm assuming you’re not talking about Norwest lake near the shopping centre. There are no fishing signs at least around the built up side of the lake.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about the main lake. Theres a smaller one like 5 mins walk away. Thank you very much for the help

Hi Slothparade, if I’m fishing freshwater with plastics for Bass, I often get them on small white or clear worm grubs or curly tails (50mm), but some of my buddies have even caught them on hard bodies, but most of the folks who target them in the Hawkesbury that I know use corn kernels (out of a can) or fresh bread squashed on a small long shank hook with pea sinker and float. Hang on though as the bigger ones really give a good account of themselves. - surprisingly good fighters. (But don’t throw them back - they are the rats of the waterway.)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, OttoVu said:

Sorry, have I read that right ...these man made ponds have been deliberately stocked with carp !!  Thought that was illegal (not to mention stupid and reckless) 

They do it to eat the carp apparently. But yeah its pretty dumb and reckless. They installed an electrocution thing on the main pond