How Big Do They Grow

Idol threats

They get a lot bigger than that one :biggrin2: When I was over Lord Howe Island in 1987 a Kingfish was taken by a local that weighed 120 pounds. He was using a very heavy handline & gloves. I was told a King of 135 pounds has been taken there as well.

I read somewhere they can grow to about 80 kilos.

Edited by Ken A

That's madness! Any idea what outfit the guy was using to catch it Idol?

I'd love to have seen the guy with the handline Ken. Was he strapped to the boat or something to avoid being pulled into the drink? :1yikes: Would have been interesting to see the "manual" drag system in action on the old hand line. :074:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Edited by madsmc

Big Kingies they are Clutch :biggrin2:

Shane the handline in question was about 250lbs breaking strain :biggrin2: & he used some well soaked leather gloves as well . I'm not sure but I think they were after some of the huge Black Cod & Hapuka that hang around the big drops on the north east area of the island.

I had a live baiting session up there using jumbo slimeys on 24kg gear & hardly managed a turn on the reel on any of my hookups with the exception of a 20kg tiddler :1prop: I think the score was about 8-1 in the Kings favour. Memories of fishing on Santara :biggrin2:

I have seen the pictures of the kings that have come in from NZ and to be honest with you they shit on just about anything that is available in australia due to fishing pressure.

Still, we get to go out and have fun I guess with the barely legals but wouldnt it be good to go to a place where the barely legals are ideal livebait sizes?.

I remember a story told by a guy called "Booger" ,he was doing a trip at lord howe and they were using 70cm kings as livebaits for the bigger ones,they were getting smashed on some very heavy gear to!!.

The places that these mega kings hang out are very hard to get but I think that I may have found the latest place,its called the "Wanganella" banks that is halfway between NZ and norfolk island,this area comes up from 2000 ftm to around 100 and I saw a promotional video of a charter boat that went there in the middle of winter.The boat is purpose built but they were out to get marlin and they just kept getting swarmed by XOS striped marlin average 100kg +.At one stage they were able to tag 8 at the same time !!,either way imagine the kings at this place!!.

got a spare $15000 anyone?

simon

G`day Fellas ,

Saw a fella hook into one at the BANKS near Greenwell Pt.

Took him and hour to boat , and at days end , he finished up in Jervis Bay , but the fish went a tick under the TON .

It broke all records down that way for quite some time , and come to think of it , it probably still stands .

I can`t remember if he belonged to a club , but I think he did.

Mick

Guest maraudingmado

Took him and hour to boat , and at days end , he finished up in Jervis Bay , but the fish went a tick under the TON .

It broke all records down that way for quite some time , and come to think of it , it probably still stands .

What went a ton OWZAT????

Blimey!!!

Surely the blokes who see the biggest and most frequent catch are the pros. They must net all sorts of beasties. Going back a few decades the older blokes must have seen everything. Anyone know of a website the pros use to post pictures of beaties from the deep?

Dan

(Spanker)

What went a ton OWZAT????

maraudingmado

The fish weighed just under 100 Lbs ( TON ) .

Think it was 98 LB from memory .

Mick

Rekless, heres a couple of pics of the "Ultimate Lady" that fishes the Wanganella banks along with others;

isnt she a beauty! :thumbup:

post-133-1135230974_thumb.jpg

post-133-1135231050_thumb.jpg

Expensive hobby. From memory they have at least two tenders to bring in the fish too.

That docco when they caught 8 beakies in a day was interesting. One fish had been attached by something they think was a squid.

MH

Guest hottuna

Expensive hobby. From memory they have at least two tenders to bring in the fish too.

That docco when they caught 8 beakies in a day was interesting. One fish had been attached by something they think was a squid.

Look in the corners. they have at least one spa in there. Massive

Rekless, heres a couple of pics of the "Ultimate Lady" that fishes the Wanganella banks along with others;

isnt she a beauty! :thumbup:

So when are we getting our invite to come over and have a fish on this magnificent vessel clutch? :thumbup: I can see myself enjoying a few coldies in that spa on the way back from a fishing trip. :beersmile::074: Awesome boat that!

Shane

Edited by madsmc

So when are we getting our invite to come over and have a fish on this magnificent vessel clutch?

Shane

Shane, ....was just pulling her out of the garage and realised that the fuel tanks were empty :wacko:

I want to pay for the 20,000 litres of diesel before we go so......with a quick calculation I'd say 2010 :biggrin2: