Metal handle - reel seat - shark fishing

slothparade

Hi, 

I have been told I need to use a rod with a aluminum reel seat / handle for shark fishing is this true or not?

I bought my setup from a guy who used it to catch marlin and shark and it have a plastic handle / reel seat (its a abu gracia 15 - 24 kg roller tip rod) 

Although the reel seat on your rod looks like plastic, its really a carbon based material and will hold up fine for what you're intending to do with it.

I fished both 15 and 24kg gear for years with this style of seat and never had an issue.

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Although the reel seat on your rod looks like plastic, its really a carbon based material and will hold up fine for what you're intending to do with it.

I fished both 15 and 24kg gear for years with this style of seat and never had an issue.

Thanks for the help. Are you meaning the reel seat is graphite (type of carbon)? 

1 hour ago, slothparade said:

Thanks for the help. Are you meaning the reel seat is graphite (type of carbon)? 

The major manufacturers of such reel seats are Fuji and Alps. Both state they are carbon construction.

They don't appear to be graphite.

16 hours ago, motiondave said:

I'm guessing you are chasing bigger than 1-1.5 m sharks😁.

I use glass Kmart sturdy rod with 6000 series cheap reel and 50lb braid. It hauls the smaller ones in just fine. Not that I'm after sharks all the time

yeah anything really but its best to be prepared for big ones and at $250 it was hard to pass that. Surprised that a kmart rod would survive a shark though. The handle on the rod from big W came loose but I think this was a big shark that did that 

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

My mistake. 

I should've said the reel seats don't appear to have the same resins incorporated with the graphite that we are used to seeing in rod blanks etc., giving them a totally different appearance.

The resin is that film/ kinda sticky thing they put over the blank right? what's the point of doing this? I thought it was to keep the thread for the guides together or is it to protect the blank from scratches? 

1 hour ago, slothparade said:

The resin is that film/ kinda sticky thing they put over the blank right? what's the point of doing this? I thought it was to keep the thread for the guides together or is it to protect the blank from scratches? 

The resin I was referring to is the resin that's incorporated with the graphite to make the actual rod blank. Some kind of epoxy I believe and no doubt there are many different formulas.

The epoxy that goes over the bindings is a different product, which seals and protects the thread from damage.

I'm not sure what they use with the carbon for the reel seats. It does have that polyethylene feel about it, but far harder. 

• Thanks 1