Is this appropriate gear for LBG? + Need help on sending my livies out far.

Offtherockss

Not too long ago, I saw a couple blokes with those massive overhead reels live baiting massive baits from rock platforms. And I kinda felt like trying this out as well. 

I ran through some of my heavier gear and I have have about 3 PE8 rated rods and about 2 reels in the 10000 range from Fin-nor and Shimano (currently spooled with about 300-350m of 60lb braid). And a penn spinfisher 9500 which I believe it has around 400m of 80lb braid right now. 

Would this be capable of pulling out a 50kg monster from the rocks? 

And I need some help in getting my live baits out to a far enough distance. Most of the time I use a balloon or a larger float to send my livies out but they just sort of sit around and not really move far out from where they land after casting. I see some guys easily sending their baits a good 150m+ from where they are.

Thanks in advance!

I will answer the last bit first-the most likely 50kg fish these days off the stones would be sharks or if you are willing to join the circus at the JB tubes a large black marlin. The gear you have will deal with a 50kg shark from the stones without too many issues but some of the blacks hooked at JB are more like 100kgs-you will kiss your spool contents goodbye-the guys that chase these aim to have at least a 1000m of line on the spool-usually 24 kg with a lot of backing. Most fish on the east coast rocks are well under 20kg with kings (that dont run far) and longtails (that do) your most likely bigger fish-the yellowfin are long gone.

The first part of your question is a conundrum-i can honestly say most fish i hook of the rocks are not more than 50 m out-fish patrol the edges looking for bait-you dont need to get 150m out and depending on the spot you will be suddenly in boat territory. Also with a bait 150m out , hook a decent longtail and it will run 200 with no probs-suddenly you aint got no line!

I always aimed to have 500 on the spool no matter the line class. Also finally-heavy braid and heavy drag settings can lead to some serious safety issues on the rocks-be careful. Final point-casting livies usually knocks them about -thats why they dont move after a decent cast. Lob them into the back of the wash and let then go out with the current or breeze if you use a balloon. Personally i prefer torpedo floats in 99% of situations, usually if the bait wants to go out to the 150 m mark in clear water its a sign that there are very few predatory fish around and the bait is way too comfortable out there, when they are trying to hug the rocks its a sign something big and nasty is around

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Offtherockss said:

Not too long ago, I saw a couple blokes with those massive overhead reels live baiting massive baits from rock platforms. And I kinda felt like trying this out as well. 

I ran through some of my heavier gear and I have have about 3 PE8 rated rods and about 2 reels in the 10000 range from Fin-nor and Shimano (currently spooled with about 300-350m of 60lb braid). And a penn spinfisher 9500 which I believe it has around 400m of 80lb braid right now. 

Would this be capable of pulling out a 50kg monster from the rocks? 

And I need some help in getting my live baits out to a far enough distance. Most of the time I use a balloon or a larger float to send my livies out but they just sort of sit around and not really move far out from where they land after casting. I see some guys easily sending their baits a good 150m+ from where they are.

Thanks in advance!

The spinfisher should be fine, just check the drag to make sure it's not sticky. Penn says the drag is only 6.8 kg but I'm sure it's higher also there's videos on YouTube of people landing Queensland grouper on a spinfisher 850. 

I'm not sure about the finor as I don't own one but my friend loves his, lands sharks on it. Depends on how old it is though, one of the models (a bit older) has a problem of the handle breaking off. 

My pe8 rod is quite still stiff and it is 8 ft. It casts pretty well but 150 m is pushing it. Mabey have you had a look at heavy beach rods?

slothparade thanks for the reply.

The spinfisher I have is one of the newer models which 'supposedly' have 20+kg drag. But I really think it's probably somewhere around 17-18kg maximum. 

And about the baits, I meant the baits swimming out and not myself casting it. 

9 minutes ago, Offtherockss said:

slothparade thanks for the reply.

The spinfisher I have is one of the newer models which 'supposedly' have 20+kg drag. But I really think it's probably somewhere around 17-18kg maximum. 

And about the baits, I meant the baits swimming out and not myself casting it. 

When did you get your spinfisher? I got mine this year but I think it's a couple of years old though. Over heads sound like a hazard and an annoyance off the rocks. Anything in the 50 size is just a pain to get any bait out. Also the heavy drag will become dangerous especially with a harness 

North of sydney  15kg will suffice  10kg is norm for longtails cobes macks  sth coast 24kg for kings  most big kings are hooked vlose to the rocks  so   dont wadte your time tryin to get baits out 150m   nth coast rods 8  9ft are the go   sth coast ledges you can go shorter  all dependant on where you fish and access to water   try for at least 500mtrs line  30 size lever drags are fine  your spinning reels will work just go lighter and longer

• Like 4

Great advice from Paddy and Rick above- to get your bait out you just simply pull gently against it, the bait almost always swims opposite to any resistance and you only want it as far as the back of the wash. Also NEVER wear a harness on the rocks- it will get you drowned if you get an oversize fish. Nobody I've ever met has been strong enough to fish more than 50lb off the rocks

The circus is about the massive crowds and antics that go on at the tubes most of the time- there's limited space and mostly far too many fishers due to how great a spot it is

Edited by wazatherfisherman
more info
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

The best Penn's are the Slammer series or the Battle series.

for budget spinfisher is good. Getting a slammer if my marks are good enough LOL. 

Are you a fan of the battle 2 or 3? Just curious because I have heard a lot of arguments for each 

I have a Battle 2. and a Slammer 3. Also 2 Spinfishers and a 5000 Clash.

The Slammer will stop a Mack truck.

I changed from Shimano to Penn a few years ago.

I find the Penn reels are better and less maintenance.

That is my opinion

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rebel said:

I have a Battle 2. and a Slammer 3. Also 2 Spinfishers and a 5000 Clash.

The Slammer will stop a Mack truck.

I changed from Shimano to Penn a few years ago.

I find the Penn reels are better and less maintenance.

That is my opinion

Cheers.

I have been changing from shimano to penn as well, found they were cheaper and same as you, less maintenance. 

Personally I like the look of the battle 3 more but I think the insides of the battle 2 are better, surprised the price is almost the same. 

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

Shop around, you will by the Battle2 cheaper.

Check out Dinga Fishing, he gives Raider's an extra 5% discount. Free freight.

Cheers.

how do you get the discount on dinga? wish I knew about that before LOL 

2 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Shop around, you will by the Battle2 cheaper.

Check out Dinga Fishing, he gives Raider's an extra 5% discount. Free freight.

Cheers.

couldn't find the battle 2 on dinga, only really found them on gumtree, facebook, ebay