Loom for wires from engine well to outboard.

Fluid36

Hi all,

What type of wrap, conduit, split loom do you like to use for the wires that run from the engine well to the outboard (control wires and fuel lines etc)?

I have just removed the plastic sealed loom (covered the control wires and fuel line combined) and found fuel sludge in the sealed loom, I'm looking for a possible fuel leak at the moment, fuel line looks good but will most likely replace).

I don't like the idea of the sealed plastic type loom as it seals in any fuel, seawater etc if it gets in there with no way for it to drain so was looking at something like durarap to change it with, are there any other better options?

Also, is it normal to have the fuel lines and control wires in the same loom to the outboard?

Cheers

11 minutes ago, noelm said:

The mesh kind of stuff that Evinrude used at one time was really good, these days is just a soft tube with lots of kind of ridges on the outside to allow for bending.

They still make the mesh stuff which is available at places like auto parts stores & jaycar.

I recently used a combination of both when I did my dual battery system in my 4x4.

The mesh was used in the engine bay as it is better for areas where there are tighter bends & the harder ridged tube I used in the exterior where it was up against the chassis rail & areas where the there could be a bit of possible rubbing

I think it really depends on where your going to use it as to which one I would use.

Both are fire resistant. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, noelm said:

The mesh kind of stuff that Evinrude used at one time was really good, these days is just a soft tube with lots of kind of ridges on the outside to allow for bending.

Yeah that stuff holds fluids so not the best option.  Mesh or spiral wrap may be way to go.

I have the split plastic corrugated tube held on by several cable ties protecting the wiring loom. The fuel line is in the bundle. It extends from the stern to the motor.

the tube split faces down so any significant quantity of liquid can drain. Of course there would be some liquid residue in the corrugations. 

My boat lives in the open. 
For me, the main purpose of the loom cover is to provide UV protection and some additional mechanical protection (abrasion resistance) to the cables and fuel line. On my boat depending how the motor is trimmed the loom touches the non slip coating of the marlin board - the protector provides an extra layer.

I am ok with some residual salt water being in there as the electrical cables are double insulated already and everything is waterproof. 

leaking fuel is easy to detect it SMELLS  and can be seen floating on water - especially during wash down. 

Are you sure your fuel leak wasn’t caused when you were pulling off the protector?

cheers Zoran 

PS - I have used spiral wrap in past. Just found that the wraps moved apart and hence compromised UV protection.  I have not tried the mesh but don’t think it will provide UV protection. 

It is my belief that having a solid plastic loom prevents wiring from bouncing and flexing which can cause connections and soldered joints etc to break or fail.  I use rectangular plastic conduit which has 2 way tape on the c section to attach to hull with the 4th side/top which can be removed and clipped back on.  Ron