ONE METRE BRONZE WHALER IN A KAYAK

kingfish101

Weekday kayak fishing session launching from Apple Tree Bay at first light. With these short winter days my plan was to fish Cowan as far as the end of Jerusalem Bay and get back to the ramp before dark.

Caught a dozen or so perfect live bait sized mullet in the bays and converted them into 3 flathead on a deep water drift in Jerusalem Bay. The largest was 55cm and the other 2 just 40cm.

For the return paddle through Cowan I had time to fish the points hoping the find a hungry jewfish. In the deep water off the entrance to Smiths Creek I got a big hit on a live mullet. The fish fought hard close to the bottom and I thought I had my dream jewfish on the end of the line. After the best part of 10 minutes I was surprised to see the shark coming up out of the depths with the circle hook perfectly placed in the corner of his mouth. I have caught several bronze whalers in the kayak over the past few years and the only times they have not bitten me off has been when I have been using circle hooks. The other sharks all came up to the surface early for the fight but this one was a maverick and did not follow the script. Also with the other sharks there was always a beach within striking distance to tow the tired fish ashore to finish the job. It goes against the grain to put a lively fish with teeth and a moderately suspect reputation in between my legs.

This time I was in the open but eventually gaffed the shark in the stomach which killed it fairly quickly and I was able to get it into the hatch with minimal risk to my manhood.

Bronze whalers are very good eating and there is enough meat on this fish for several meals.

P1010515.JPG

P1010516.JPG

• Like 10