Slow pitch jigging Sydney inshore in 2021

anthman

Hello Raiders, my interest in slow pitch jigging has been reinvigorated, maybe its the usual winter slow down both driving a slower bite and more time browsing youtube videos 😆

Which leads me to my question - who can consistently catch fish using slow pitch jigging in Sydney inshore waters?

I've had the random luck with casting slow pitch jigs (~20g in 20m) in Middle Harbour - mostly flathead now and again, baby snapper, rat kings (but only during Summer, when they'll take anything) and on two occasions, mulloway. Overall though, very low success rate.

Some luck offshore in 30-40m waters but very hard to hit bottom with current/wind - though am keen to try again but this time with access to spotlock 😁

Keen to hear if people have had success (particularly vertical slow pitch jigging rather than casting out) and details in Sydney inshore waters;

- what you caught

- general terrain/conditions

- water depth

- jig weight

- vertical slow pitch or casting out

- boat / land

- season of the year if you remember!

I'm hoping for lots of success stories. I know @DerekD has lots of luck land based... I'm also keen to try larger jigs in shallow water (80g-120g) and see if that does anything...

thanks all!

I have some in the tackle box but haven't gotten around to using them as I not able to get outside fishing enough.

I see them more as an open water/reef type of lure where you have more water depth for the action of the lure to work.

Maybe 20mtrs +??

I also have some of those pirate jigs which again I have not had the chance to use yet & think they would also be good for similar fish you would catch with the slow pitch jigs.

As usual I think its a good thing to have a variety of tricks in the bag & if one is not work then take it off & try another one.

I guess you just need to know how to adjust your fishing style to suit each one.

Hi raiders long time reader first time poster so bare with me.  I have been using micro jigs and slow action jigs for the last five years.  Setup is two Gomoku rods with shimano 3000 or 4000 stradics.  Line is 20 lb and 30 lb braid with same weight flurocarbon leader.  Jigs weight vary from 30gram up to 90 gram depending on water depth and drift speed and water conditions.  Depths range from 20mts to 50 mts.  Usually look for broken reef around the edges of same.  Fish species caught so far, In Port Hacking - salmon, kingfish, leather jacket, snapper (usually just under legal size), trevally, flathead, gurnard -outside kingfish, snapper, nannygai, pike, sgt baker, groper (only one off Marley wreck), leatherjacket, flathead, juvenile sampson fish and occasional big squid if they hook up.  So far I have only scored two decent size snapper and about 4 legal size kingfish.  Getting hits and hooking up is relative easy and nearly guaranteed every trip but getting decent size fish on a regular basis has so far eluded me.  Its a fun way to fish and keeps you active - always fish on the drift and utilise a sea anchor when necessary.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1