Where are the squid?

MaxiTroll

Hey guys,

I have been chasing kings the last couple days around middle harbor to have walked away with and a empty bag most of the time. Everyone who seems to be catching the big winter kings all seem to be catching them on fresh squid. I usually go get yakkas in the morning at Balmoral and also flick my squid jig around there too but get no luck. Any advice on were they are or what colour squid jig I should be using would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ive seen the charters  at Middle head and have had success from there to Gorges head. For me squidding is always a bit hit and miss. On a side note I hear john dory are in town around structure. They will take your livies. 

I fish mainly middle harbour and I got a decent spot for you, middle harbour is virtually full of squids but a good spot you can try is one of the wharves at the spit on the left hand side when coming from Mosman towards the northern beaches, you’ll also find them anywhere around the spit marinas and the bridge. You will find squid are at Most of the jetties and pontoons Aswell, and there’s one more which I can tell you 😉 just don’t want it to get overcrowded.

Edited by Max_fish

4 hours ago, blaxland said:

Ive seen the charters  at Middle head and have had success from there to Gorges head. For me squidding is always a bit hit and miss. On a side note I hear john dory are in town around structure. They will take your livies. 

John Dory, are they hanging around any structure in middle harbour? And I’m guessing your talking about yakkas as livies, I’ll have to give that a go. What time of day and tide do you recommend. I would like to catch a John Dory is that would be a first for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Middle harbour is full of squid as the others have been saying, its just a matter of technique and location - I don't find tide to be much of a factor but early morning/late arvo is preferable. There a two types of squid in middle harbour - Upstream of spit is mainly arrow squid and downstream is mainly calamari. Arrows travel in schools and are pretty unreliable so I usually don't bother, but to get them the best way is using a paternoster rig with two very small jigs and drift around the moorings of the bays. Calamari are found anywhere there is kelp/seaweed and jetties/structure, so my advice would be to look on satellite around the lower reaches of middle harbour for kelp beds and you should be in business. Use a smallish jig (quality of jig is usually pretty important as well - I prefer yamashita). In terms of technique with the jigs - Let it sink to the bottom and two sharp flicks (pause for a couple seconds after) and slow winding for a few seconds, repeat, for the retrieval.

On 7/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, Max_fish said:

John Dory, are they hanging around any structure in middle harbour? And I’m guessing your talking about yakkas as livies, I’ll have to give that a go. What time of day and tide do you recommend. I would like to catch a John Dory is that would be a first for me.

Max-fish put "John Dory Fishing" in the search engine up top for some info

On 7/19/2021 at 8:42 AM, motiondave said:

@Max_fish, I can seem to catch yellowtail anytime during the day regardless of tides. My favourite spot for them is near cobblers beach , around the rock areas inside middle head.

Burley up and wait for a bit, if they dont turn up , which is rare, I move maybe 5m to another spot within that area. 

Awesome, thanks!