Winter on the Harbour

puddlejumper

Hey everyone,

I've been struggling for motivation to get on the water lately because the fishing on the harbour has really slowed down for me. It'd be my dream to get that elusive winter kingie but It's been to no avail, I've heard they stay deeper but thats still not doing the trick for me, as well as the usual wrecks etc. Even getting bait has really slowed down like yakkas and squid that usually swarm in summer. It's as though as soon as June/July has come I've hit a brick wall (Not that i've ever been the gun fisho). Anyone got any ideas I fish mainly middle harbour. SOS 😂 

Cheers,

puddlejumper

HeyPuddlejumper, keep trying, Kingies are far less predictable in winter, but when you do “happen” across them, they are usually good ones.

I always burley for Kingies (all fishing really), many fisho’s dont, as it can (usually does), bring pickers around, but the smaller fish attract bigger fish including kings. Often under these conditions, they’ll come up in the burley trail and you’ll see the Kingies cruising around gulping little pieces of burley. That’s when I swap to a no 6 (NOT 6/0) Mustad demon circle hook and drop it unweigthed into the burley and let it drift back, but keep it where I can see and follow it and as soon as it disappears into a Kingies mouth and it is swimming away from the boat, I lift firmly (dont “Strike”, just lift firmly).

I have found this really successful, but also lose a lot as you can only fish 20 or max of 30lb line this Wayne the Kingies become very cautious.
The outfit I love for this is a light flick stick 4-8lb rod and a Shimano Curado DC HG with 30lb proline braid and 20lb Wilson fluro leader. This also accounts for lots of Trevally, salmon and bream (also “bite offs” by tailor).

Give it a go and let’s hear report with your feedback.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pickles said:

HeyPuddlejumper, keep trying, Kingies are far less predictable in winter, but when you do “happen” across them, they are usually good ones.

I always burley for Kingies (all fishing really), many fisho’s dont, as it can (usually does), bring pickers around, but the smaller fish attract bigger fish including kings. Often under these conditions, they’ll come up in the burley trail and you’ll see the Kingies cruising around gulping little pieces of burley. That’s when I swap to a no 6 (NOT 6/0) Mustad demon circle hook and drop it unweigthed into the burley and let it drift back, but keep it where I can see and follow it and as soon as it disappears into a Kingies mouth and it is swimming away from the boat, I lift firmly (dont “Strike”, just lift firmly).

I have found this really successful, but also lose a lot as you can only fish 20 or max of 30lb line this Wayne the Kingies become very cautious.
The outfit I love for this is a light flick stick 4-8lb rod and a Shimano Curado DC HG with 30lb proline braid and 20lb Wilson fluro leader. This also accounts for lots of Trevally, salmon and bream (also “bite offs” by tailor).

Give it a go and let’s hear report with your feedback.

Cheers Pickles for the help, I've heard about this method before but never tried it before. I'll give it a go in the next few weeks and let you know how I go.