Jockey Wheel Mounting Bolts

Berleyguts

Hi Fishraider brains trust!

I changed my jockey wheel over today. I had one of those ratchet wheels to help me move the boat around but as I’m no longer on a sloping site I don’t need it, so it was time for a change. That and the fact that the wheel dropped down on the last trip to the ramp and flat spotted the tyre! 😂😂

So, I fitted the new wheel but the shaft is closer to the drawbar than the old one and it catches on the u-bolts when I try to swing it up.

If I can’t get shorter u-bolts, is the solution to reverse the bolts so the nuts are on the other side of the drawbar and put a piece of gal plate between the drawbar and the nuts?

Thus is coming from the nut operating the spanner. 😂

TIA.F50EEE14-A534-46CF-A3A8-BD5516034D3C.thumb.jpeg.c1d6b25ae5ecd025d6be5c6a3b97ed73.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Angle grinder - Cut them down. Dab of zinc gal 👌

cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran,

Of course, I just sold my angle grinders as I’m trying to clear out the house for when we move. 🤷‍♂️ I’ll have to borrow my son’s I guess! 😂

And screw the nuts out to deburr the thread, too, right?

1 hour ago, pegz said:

or build up muscles and use a hacksaw to cut the bolts, also would move the jockey wheel assembly  further back. This may give you room to swing it

No, there’s really no room to move it back. The shaft hits on the bolts anyway, so I’ll have to cut them.

As long as the winch post plate doesn't interfere your best bet is to cut the U bolts a little.

Take them off put the nuts back on, cut the bolts to the desired length and smooth the ends with a grinder or file then undo the nuts, if they come off easy it means the threads are good if not don't force them off file them a bit more on a 60 degree angle .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wrxhoon1 said:

As long as the winch post plate doesn't interfere your best bet is to cut the U bolts a little.

Take them off put the nuts back on, cut the bolts to the desired length and smooth the ends with a grinder or file then undo the nuts, if they come off easy it means the threads are good if not don't force them off file them a bit more on a 60 degree angle .

Lol. I was hoping to cut the bolts without taking them off but it looks like the top front one might be a little close to the winch post. 🤷‍♂️😂

17 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Lol. I was hoping to cut the bolts without taking them off but it looks like the top front one might be a little close to the winch post. 🤷‍♂️😂

Looking at the way it will swing .... I don’t think you need to cut the top left one. 
73BCE23C-CC0E-449F-9CDF-A50670DAEF97.thumb.jpeg.f3ba578a67cceddcab5ad24703c586e5.jpeg

18v Ryobi grinder fitted with flexOvit multi material 1mm cut off wheel will slice through the 3 circled bolts like butter.  It looks like the nuts are gal nylocs - so cut through the bolts a section at a time so that they do not over heat (glow red) and destroy the nyloc plastic bush. 

If you are somewhat careful you wont damage the thread to the point that you will not be able to remove the nuts  - if that is ever required in the future. But you will probably have to chamfer the threads as @wrxhoon1 has recommended to get the nuts back on.

cheers Zoran (not the Byron Bay one)

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Looking at the way it will swing .... I don’t think you need to cut the top left one. 
73BCE23C-CC0E-449F-9CDF-A50670DAEF97.thumb.jpeg.f3ba578a67cceddcab5ad24703c586e5.jpeg

18v Ryobi grinder fitted with flexOvit multi material 1mm cut off wheel will slice through the 3 circled bolts like butter.  It looks like the nuts are gal nylocs - so cut through the bolts a section at a time so that they do not over heat (glow red) and destroy the nyloc plastic bush. 

If you are somewhat careful you wont damage the thread to the point that you will not be able to remove the nuts  - if that is ever required in the future. But you will probably have to chamfer the threads as @wrxhoon1 has recommended to get the nuts back on.

cheers Zoran (not the Byron Bay one)

Thanks Zoran,

I’m going to have a crack at it tomorrow. I’m pretty sure the nuts aren’t nyloc. I’d like spare u bolts in case I stuff it up but we’re out of stock at Bunnings where I work and Repco and SCA are online shopping only due to lockdown. Due to lockdown, I’m not fishing anyway - I just need to get it sorted before we move house in 6 weeks, so I’ve got plenty of time!