Anchor recommendations for a 4.5-metre Polycraft

Remote River Man

According to recent wild rumours, I may finally be getting my 4.5-metre Polycraft Drifter (Frontrunner) in about three weeks. It comes with a basic lightweight Danforth, but I'll probably want a second anchor, plus possibly a reef anchor (we have a few inshore reefs up here in the Bundaberg region).

I've had a look at the Sarcas (expensive) and the Coopers 3.5 kg aluminium anchor (which has had some decent reviews), and just wondered what my fellow Fishraiders use (and are happy with) for their own smallish fishing boats. Up my way, it's mostly mud and sand, with occasional rubble areas / harder bottoms. Plough anchors seem to be a good all-rounder, but any suggestions are most welcome for this anchor-buying rookie....

2 trains of thought I guess, buy the more expensive version with the slip ring/slider which reduces the chances of getting stuck & lost or just buy a cheapy & if your stuck & cant get off the cut the rope & its no big loss.

A cheap sand anchor is about $14 so you need to lose 10 before your up to the cost the cheapest Sarca.

Your decision is in the maths imo & how deep your pockets are.

For me Id rather buy cheaper, get a sand & reef pick & also get a nice big drift chute, you can buy the 3 & still have spent half the amount of the Sarca. 

Good luck with the new boat, hope your somewhere you will actually be able to use it.

Edited by kingie chaser

Just buy cheap sand anchor and small reef pick, 4 metres 10mm chain and 100 metres of 8mm silver rope.

Of coarse IF you buy a electric bow mount with spot lock anchoring is a thing of the past , and you only really need anchors to stay within local maritime laws, OR IF your batteries runs flat.

Frank

Edited by frankS

On 8/21/2021 at 12:48 AM, Remote River Man said:

According to recent wild rumours, I may finally be getting my 4.5-metre Polycraft Drifter (Frontrunner) in about three weeks. It comes with a basic lightweight Danforth, but I'll probably want a second anchor, plus possibly a reef anchor (we have a few inshore reefs up here in the Bundaberg region).

I've had a look at the Sarcas (expensive) and the Coopers 3.5 kg aluminium anchor (which has had some decent reviews), and just wondered what my fellow Fishraiders use (and are happy with) for their own smallish fishing boats. Up my way, it's mostly mud and sand, with occasional rubble areas / harder bottoms. Plough anchors seem to be a good all-rounder, but any suggestions are most welcome for this anchor-buying rookie....

Anything from the Mercury,Susuki or Etec line up will suit your needs.😂

I'm with Frank on this one.You don't need to over think it or over spend with what you want to do.