New Little Beach Boat Ramp (Port Stephens)

Macca571

I have had some difficulty with this boat ramp at LOW tide a few months ago with the trailer sinking in the soft sand which is washed in in the strong westerlies.

Just before the lock-down, it was fenced off with the the pending planned improvements.   As I live in Newcastle, I haven't had the opportunity to check out the progress being made to the ramp.  Can anyone provide an update???

I am hoping that there will also be some floating pontoons provided, (like that at Soldiers Point).  As I mostly fish on my own the previous situation I found very awkward (impossible???) when there was any wind or slop happening, as it is almost impossible to park the trailer and not find your boat washed up on the beach when you return.  Again can anyone update me on this???

Shoal Bay is impossible on your own with any sort of slop wrapping around the heads, while Soldiers Point is fantastic, but its a long way out there ...... and a long way back out through to the Heads.

Considering the number of boaties using the Bay, surely they deserve better facilities like the ones at Soldiers Point.

Now I've had my little rant  ..... I feel much better!!!    Surely the restrictions will SOON be lifted.

Unfortunately, the only upgrades they are doing is to the ramp itself. The car park will remain the same. The ramp will extend out further from its previous position. This should stop it sanding up especially from the westerly winds but I feel it will also make it almost impossible to launch solo. 
There are no pontoons going in nor any restructuring of anything else. Mainly because this area is surrounded by a sanctuary zone and requires constant approval of work carried out by the DPI. 
This process has also slowed up the construction of the ramp as they have ran into a few unforeseen structures that needed examination. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Who knows when it will finish or how effective it will be once complete! Most of us locals up here are curious too! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Unfortunately, the only upgrades they are doing is to the ramp itself. The car park will remain the same. The ramp will extend out further from its previous position. This should stop it sanding up especially from the westerly winds but I feel it will also make it almost impossible to launch solo. 
There are no pontoons going in nor any restructuring of anything else. Mainly because this area is surrounded by a sanctuary zone and requires constant approval of work carried out by the DPI. 
This process has also slowed up the construction of the ramp as they have ran into a few unforeseen structures that needed examination. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Who knows when it will finish or how effective it will be once complete! Most of us locals up here are curious too! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Ramp design-

https://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/7159591/new-look-boat-ramp-for-little-beach/

Im presuming when the upgrade was proposed & design put forward there would have been an opportunity for input by the public, not that that means anything was going to change from the original concept, probably just an oppertunity for the greenies to oppose it!   

Realistically knowing where it is it would have benefitted from a small break wall I guess they wouldnt have wanted to cause any damage to any seagrass 🙄  

It the sounds of it there is work going to be done eventually on the amenities.

https://www.portstephens.nsw.gov.au/your-council/news/big-upgrade-for-little-beach-boat-ramp

I guess sometimes you just have to be happy with the crumbs rather than getting the whole slice of bread :whistling:

Edited by kingie chaser

Strange, they design a boat ramp but can't even get their facts straight. In kingies first link they show a photo of what they say is Soldiers point boat ramp when in fact ( please correct me if I am wrong ) it's Lemon Tree Passage boat ramp.

If they can't show the proper photo what chance have they got of building a decent ramp ?.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Strange, they design a boat ramp but can't even get their facts straight. In kingies first link they show a photo of what they say is Soldiers point boat ramp when in fact ( please correct me if I am wrong ) it's Lemon Tree Passage boat ramp.

If they can't show the proper photo what chance have they got of building a decent ramp ?.

Frank

No that’s soldiers Frank. I’m just surprised the council up here are doing anything. 
KC, yes mate we all have input from many sources that accounted for nothing. 
On average there would have been 100’s of calls to council to remove sand build up with the past ramp. It still took them a week or two for them to do anything 🤷‍♂️
Guess there’s also greater problems in the area atm. 
Let’s hope this ramp is good for everyone 👍