The Basin - Pittwater

nal

Hi all,

I am heading up to the basin in Pittwater this weekend and I was wondering, if anyone has any advice for fishing the basin? I have been there Briefly when I was younger and caught a few small whiting. Does anyone have any advice? 

Thanks, Max

Are you fishing inside the basin at the camping ground or outside in the bay from a boat?

Do you have a yabby pump - if so then there are yabby beds on the flats inside the basin. A light rig with a running sinker is a nice way to fish it. I also bring soft plastics as there are plenty of flathead and an ecogear or two for better casting distance.

Last time I was there I saw a long tom. Some friends of mine got owned by something big in there years ago and they were not complete novices.

We've caught squid there on squid jigs and then dropped them as baits between the moorings. We've also found yellowtail in the area.

Edited by DerekD

23 hours ago, DerekD said:

Are you fishing inside the basin at the camping ground or outside in the bay from a boat?

Do you have a yabby pump - if so then there are yabby beds on the flats inside the basin. A light rig with a running sinker is a nice way to fish it. I also bring soft plastics as there are plenty of flathead and an ecogear or two for better casting distance.

Last time I was there I saw a long tom. Some friends of mine got owned by something big in there years ago and they were not complete novices.

We've caught squid there on squid jigs and then dropped them as baits between the moorings. We've also found yellowtail in the area.

We will be on a boat but also inside the campground area. Thanks for the info! It’ll be a great help and yes I do have a pump so I’ll make sure to bring that. We’re the squids inside the flats inside the basin or outside of the shark net?

Hi again,

We used to get the squid outside the shark net. Usually from boat covering the ground between the Bennett's wharf and Bonnie Doon wharf.

Inside the basin itself as the tide drops walk along that spit of land along the channel to the shark net casting in towards the basin. Cover ground. I've been told it is rather deep through there. One day I'd like to bring in the kayak with the fish finder and check out how deep and if there is any structure.

I'll sometimes use the yabbies in the channel from the shark net towards pittwater. Usually a few whiting through there.

• Thanks 1