buying a used motor!?

leonardgid

Hello raiders , i  know  nothing  about outboards  other then  start ,use , and flush  after use ,  so any kind of advice about  buying a second hand one  will be greatly appreciated ,  while there's a lot of videos out there about buying  them i trust the opinion of people in this group  so thank you for your replies .

• Thanks 1

Ask for all the service history/reports is the 1st thing I would be doing.

How many hours run time #2

At minimum even if you cant get to a waterway they need to start it, check how it runs, nice solid flow from the telltale, no oil leaks anywhere.

Take the cowling off & have a good look around after it has been run, check hydraulics, well greased where it should be.

You can usually tell if someone has looked after a motor, on the outside at least.

Edited by kingie chaser

20 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Ask for all the service history/reports is the 1st thing I would be doing.

How many hours run time #2

At minimum even if you cant get to a waterway they need to start it, check how it runs, nice solid flow from the telltale, no oil leaks anywhere.

Take the cowling off & have a good look around after it has been run, check hydraulics, well greased where it should be.

You can usually tell if someone has looked after a motor, on the outside at least.

thank you , 

On 9/10/2021 at 11:29 PM, motiondave said:

When you get it in the water is the best test. If it starts, runs, pumps water, changes gears, that's most of the issue.

Although...I had a 2012 model 30hp two stroke mercury, ran great till under load...another few mechanics and $1100 later I still could not get it not to bog. So I sold it for $900 and told the buyer what he was getting. It came down to a possible full rebuild as the crank, bring two piece, could be out of alignment.

Then I bought a 30 year old Jonno motor and had NO issue's.

It's a game with second hand motors, but most of the time they are good. 

thank you Dave.

Think carefully about buying a motor that the big selling point is its hardly been used, or hasn't been used in years etc.  Worst thing for outboards is lack of use.  I would prefer a motor that has regular trouble free use.   You can get lucky though.  The only 2nd hand motor I ever bought was a 60hp Mariner from out west that had only been on a fresh water lake and owned by the local ob mechanic.  Good luck.  Ron