Which brand of anchor winch is best?

Pickles

H Raiders, I’ve saved so much on fuel over the past 15 weeks, I’m thinking of an electronic drum winch for my Quinny (5.1 m). Although my MinKota is the best bit of gear on my boat, for those long nights an electric anchor winch is looking good, but there are many brands, so I’d appreciate owners feedback.

My initial thoughts are: Fully stainless (motor, gearbox, drum), Dynemma anchor rope, not free drop (heard that clutch can give out and wear over time).

looking forward to ‘Raider feedback.

Edited by Pickles
Heading

• Pickles changed the title to Which brand of anchor winch is best?

Hi Bob, I’ve previously written up my considerations  in the post below. In my opinion there are two stand out drum winches. LSM (Lonestar Marine) and SFM (Stressfree Marine). Since I regularly anchor in 60m waters I chose SFM as they offered the free-fall capability - this meant I could drop the anchor in 10sec vs trying to hold mark for 2min while I lowered the anchor under power. My drum winch has been installed and in use since 2017 no issues at all. Not sure who is telling you there is clutch wear - there is no clutch - a solenoid drives the drum to one side which disengages the drive splines - switch off solenoid and a spring pushes the drum back on splines (in gear).  Maintenance is an occasional spray of wd40 on the drum and exposed  surfaces.

cheers Zoran 

Hi Bob,

Also have a look at Mick's Winch from South Australia.  I installed one on my Barcrusher and used it weekly for 5-6 years.  They are made by Mick, who has excellent service and if you need advice he is a phone call away and happy to help.  His winch's do not have free fall, come in a couple of sizes and can be supplied in a kit with everything you need to do the install yourself.  They are a quality product and worth a look.  Cheers Dave.........

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Cheers Zoran - very comprehensive reply (as always), should have given you a ring first to discuss).

Look fwd to catching up soon.

bob

No probs Bob. That’s what this forum is for - so that we can all share our experiences - I’m sure you’ll hear from other folks that are also happy with their winches and choice. 
Definitely looking forward to our next session 👍👍
cheers Z