Jervis Bay Fishing

Franco

Hi All,

Headed down to Jervis bay for a few days of fishing and just wondering what tips, rough spots for fishing Kingies and snapper and needs to know when going down there? ( I know calamri are limited to 10pp and its a massive marine park). I have marked the following spots just woindering if anyone has had any luck recently or knows the area well (Mid Grounds, Waypoint 20 & Flat rock)? I am launching the boat from murrays.

Hoping to post a fishing report If i catch anything worthwhile if not will be soaking in the sun on the beach drinking beers. 🍺

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

I know some spots in St Georges Basin if you are thinking about going there at all.

If it gets to windy then we might head to St George Basin. Ive never fished there so not to sure on spots or baits.

From what I've heard, things are a little quite in the Bay at the moment, but that can change overnight. The squid are always around, over the weed beds in close to the shore.

St Georges Basin is starting to fire up with quite a few large flathead landed from both the flats and deeper water. The bream and pan size snapper are biting well too. Snapper in particular, early and late in the day.

In The Basin all the usual lures and baits will work. Best to concentrate on the drop offs around the edge and if fishing bait, berley is a big help.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

From what I've heard, things are a little quite in the Bay at the moment, but that can change overnight. The squid are always around, over the weed beds in close to the shore.

St Georges Basin is starting to fire up with quite a few large flathead landed from both the flats and deeper water. The bream and pan size snapper are biting well too. Snapper in particular, early and late in the day.

In The Basin all the usual lures and baits will work. Best to concentrate on the drop offs around the edge and if fishing bait, berley is a big help.

Thanks a lot for that bit of information, will help heaps. Which good tackle shops is there to buy some bait from locally?

Sorry, not too sure if I can recommend tackle stores on here, but there’s one in Huskisson that is good and a couple in Nowra. PM me if you want more info regarding this.

If you want the best bait and have the gear, get yourself some live prawns. There’s plenty in The Basin this time of year around the flats and every fish that swims in there is after them.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and helpful information, Unfortunately last week the weather was terrible and we were only able to fish a few hours in the morning for a few small squid then had to jet home due to the wind. Hopefully next time I go down the weather is better :) 

• Like 1

You weren't the only one to struggling to catch a few.

Its still pretty quiet out there I believe.

Better luck next time and keep in mind, if the wind is blowing there's always a sheltered area to fish in the Crookhaven/Shoalhaven Rivers or St georges Basin. Just depends what side of The Bay you're staying on, as to which is closer.

• Like 2