Kingfish Rod & Reel

blackie66

Hi Raiders

just purchased a Shimano Saragosa SW 6000 and looking for recommendations for line and rod. It will be used mainly for land based fishing for Kingfish so need help with line mono or braid and breaking strain the specs on the box state at the high end is mono 20lb 120yds and braid 65lb 140 yds. A mix of lures and baits to be used any suggestions on line and rod specs would be appreciated as I venture into fishing for Kings.

Cheers

Blackie66

Shame you spent your money on the reel. I could sell you a combo for L B G for the price you would have paid for just the reel.

It's a Tuff Tackle Diablo LBG 7'6" rated 24/037 kg and matching Diablo sniper 8000 reel spooled with 300met 50lb braid.

Brand new with box.

This combo has a 10 year warranty, but no paper work so warranty probably void.

A guy who writes for a aussie magazine who repairs reels for a living stated that this reel was the toughest best built he had ever worked on. Big statement.

Frank

17 minutes ago, blackie66 said:

Frank it did cross my mind to check the Fishraider community for fishing gear but the purchase was a spur of the moment thing. I'm still looking for recommendations on a rod

cheers 

Can you build a rod successfully ? I have a couple of L B G blanks here that I don't have time to build, I have probably half the components to build a really good rod and you would only need to buy what I haven't got to complete the build.

Would end up a cheap custom rod.

Other than that I will see what's in the shed tomorrow, might have something you can use.

Frank

• Like 1

There are a lot of rods you can buy.

I do a lot of beach fishing.

My rods are a Penn Prevail 2 and Abu Garcia V4 Veritas.

Both are excellent rods for beach fishing.

Shop around for prices as they do vary.

I use a Dawia Demon Blood on the rocks and also a Samaki Gen3.

I only use Penn reels,never had a problem with them.

Cheers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, slothparade said:

personally id go with a saltist hyper, theyre very good. not the cheapest brand new but off facebook marketplace if you just wait a bit you will pick one up for a good price

What rod length would you recommend?

3 hours ago, blackie66 said:

What rod length would you recommend?

I used to do a lot of lure fishing for kingfish from the rocks and I found the ideal rod length to be around 3 metres/10 foot. Any shorter and your casting distance suffers any longer and the leverage factor against you is too high using a decent weight line. 

I found a quality, 8 strand, 30lb/PE3.0 braid to be the ideal weight, keeping in mind it actually breaks higher than stated.

For the record my favourite outfit was a Shimano, 10 foot Tiralejo (now discontinued) and a 6000 Sustain loaded with 30lb braid plus backing. Leaders were anything from 40-80lb and around 3.6 metres long. The rougher the terrain and likelihood of line scuffing the rocks, the stronger the leader. 

These days the Daiwa Demon Blood 962H is a popular rod, as are a few models from the Oceans Legacy stable. As @Rebelsaid above the Penn Prevails are a good, cheaper option.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I used to do a lot of lure fishing for kingfish from the rocks and I found the ideal rod length to be around 3 metres/10 foot. Any shorter and your casting distance suffers any longer and the leverage factor against you is too high using a decent weight line. 

I found a quality, 8 strand, 30lb/PE3.0 braid to be the ideal weight, keeping in mind it actually breaks higher than stated.

For the record my favourite outfit was a Shimano, 10 foot Tiralejo (now discontinued) and a 6000 Sustain loaded with 30lb braid plus backing. Leaders were anything from 40-80lb and around 3.6 metres long. The rougher the terrain and likelihood of line scuffing the rocks, the stronger the leader. 

These days the Daiwa Demon Blood 962H is a popular rod, as are a few models from the Oceans Legacy stable. As @Rebelsaid above the Penn Prevails are a good, cheaper option.

thank you that's great advice

• Like 1