Retail therapy

lastworm

Due to lockdowns, another reasonably difficult year and now the crappy weather we’re experiencing, I’m looking to retail therapy. Work has been quite good and a recent pay rise has me considering buying myself another high end reel that I really don’t particularly need.
If you’re anything like me you enjoy quality fishing gear almost as much as you enjoy the sport/hobby itself.

I have 2 high end reels, 3 high end rods and obviously can only use one at a time with the others staying packed away in the cupboard.

I need some help convincing myself I deserve to splurge a little 😊

I know there are members on here with a lot more money invested in gear than me, tell me what you have and how ridiculous your addiction is so I don’t feel so guilty!

• Like 1

I know where you're coming from lastworm. I've seen this sort of indulgence in the movies and occasionally think to myself "what fishing gear would I buy, if money were no object?" Then I snap out of it and revert to my normal thought pattern, created from having a tough upbringing in the North of England. "Nah, don't need it!"

Seriously mate, I have met some quality anglers on this site, actually fished with some of them. There are several differences between them and me. They regularly catch fish using QUALITY gear and they know the benefits of using such gear. So go for it, but spare a thought for those less fortunate, and put some lovely pictures on here so I can have a proper drool.

Thanks for letting me have a bit of early morning fun...don't forget the pictures, now you've got my attention. 

Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, campr said:

The less I go fishing the more I feel the urge to compensate by adding to my 20 or so rods.  Following Covid and recent issues with my heart I need help (or maybe a Stella).  Ron 

I hope you are on the mend healthwise campr. Take care mate, bn

One mans "high end" reel or rod is another man's K-mart version, its all relative to your income or actual interpretation of what is high end.

My idea of a high end reel is something like a Daiwa Saltiga or a Shimano Stella with a matching rod, but thats out of my price range.

At the end of the day they all catch fish, even the Kmart store bought $100 combo's still catch decent fish which has been demonstrated buy a few people on here 

Nothing wrong or right with high end or cheap end gear as they all catch fish.

Enjoy your new purchase when it arrives & hope it gets you onto some fish 👌

I love & appreciate all my gear, whether cheap, moderately priced or the rare high end item(in my mind) 😉

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Yeah I just have a bit of a thing for nice gear. I grew up using cheap stuff, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve been fortunate enough to be to get some nice stuff. In saying that, I don’t catch anywhere near enough fish to warrant most of the gear I use.

But I don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t gamble, so it’s probably not a bad vice to have 😂

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, lastworm said:

Yeah I just have a bit of a thing for nice gear. I grew up using cheap stuff, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve been fortunate enough to be to get some nice stuff. In saying that, I don’t catch anywhere near enough fish to warrant most of the gear I use.

But I don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t gamble, so it’s probably not a bad vice to have 😂

I cant disagree with any of that comment 😉

I usually buy the best I can afford no matter what it is used for.

I just bought a new downrigger(moderately priced 😁) which I didn't think I wanted to spend the money on but then if it does what I want it to do it will pay for itself in fish caught & the enjoyment factor as well.

Life is about providing warm fuzzy feelings but its not always about how much money you spend ✌️

No point leaving it all to the kids 😅

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Yep, we’re all looking for the warm fuzzy feelings, especially these days with the way things have been over the past couple of years.

I usually get those feelings as soon as I hit the water, but when I can’t do that, I look elsewhere.

As for kids, mine is only 1yo, so buying fishing gear will be a thing of the past pretty soon!

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I cant disagree with any of that comment 😉

I usually buy the best I can afford no matter what it is used for.

I just bought a new downrigger(moderately priced 😁) which I didn't think I wanted to spend the money on but then if it does what I want it to do it will pay for itself in fish caught & the enjoyment factor as well.

Life is about providing warm fuzzy feelings but its not always about how much money you spend ✌️

No point leaving it all to the kids 😅

I've always been into the psychology of nature versus nurture. In other words what things are genetic, in our DNA, and what things we learn from spending our formative years in a particular environment. I often think about this principle when it comes to purchasing a "luxury item". As you say KC, it's about your means... but it's also about your values. Often very wealthy people are very tight with their money. I have been in the company of millionaires who would sooner die than get their round of drinks in.

In my case, I am conditioned by my values, to be thrifty, something borne out of my nurturing. I am easily pleased, always believing that you don't need a Rolls Royce to go to the shops for the groceries. But you are dead right, we all need a treat sometimes. bn

• Like 1

I will offer the observation that most of the time I feel like a bit of gear shopping, I don't actually need anything...it's more because I feel like going fishing!

I find sometimes if I go for a fish and scratch the itch, I forget about what I was wanting to buy in the first place :D

Doesn't always work though...which is why I just clicked 'check out' on another cart full of lures...and that's the reason why the fish I take home is the most expensive fish I will ever eat 🤣

I just want to see this schwag when it arrives!

• Like 1

My wife often calls me a tighta$$, it’s rare I’ll spend on myself. So I can relate to your thriftiness Neil.

And yes Lttle_Flatty, I blame the lack of fishing on my retail therapy.

I’ve talked it up too much now, it’s not outrageous, but as I said I don’t really need it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@lastworm I TOTALLY get this purchase!

If I remember correctly, it's an ultralight baitcaster right? I had a Daiwa Pixy until it got stolen along with a bike :( It was a beautiful reel, took quite a while to get dialled but once I did, I could cast 1/32oz jigheads with minimal effort. I did get a very nice ABU1500 second hand off a fellow Raider. But it is a right handed reel which isn't how I fish, even though I'm right handed.

I love fishing with light baitcasters. I've thought about going back to them again, but thus far haven't gone through with it.

Yep that’s it. I mostly fish for bass and I like to have one combo that will throw everything, from light 2.5” Zman frogz to larger divers and surface presentations.

I’ve got the standard Aldebaran, and while it’s insanely light weight, I’m not overly impressed with the casting performance with really light lures. So I always wanted to give the BFS model a go. 

@Little_Flatty the pixy is still an unreal piece of kit to this day. They still fetch a decent amount of money second hand even though they are 15+ years old now!

*Please no spin vs baitcaster arguments here!

• Like 1