Proper technique for landing a Kingfish

M1100S

Hi Raider... please go easy on me and don't laugh at my question :(

so fairly new to fishing and cannot brag about getting any monster fish so bit inexperienced when it comes to fighting something that begins to peel the line off. 

I finally managed to get out yesterday and was in botany yesterday going for a kingfish... i have only landed rats so was sitting at the oil drums and i had the yakka out and got some good taps on the rod... then the rod buckles and im like ok here we go. so grab the rod and this things starts taking off peeling the line so tighten the drag a little bit more and still taking line so silly me  i do like i have seen in the videos i gripped on the spool and POP she busted me off.... ( insert expletives here ) i really got annoyed at myself being so silly and losing the fish but i want to learn from my mistakes... 

- using saragosa 6000 on a terez 7.2 rod with 40lb braid and 50lb leader.... using an modified alberto or albright knot for my leader to braid connection.  using a uni knot to tie a swivel on with usually 6 loop for the uni knot .. do the same when connecting other end of trace to the hook as well

-so when i set my drag i just pull the line off till it is a fair bit of resistance... prob not the best method for setting drag i guess

when i got busted off all i got back was my swivel.... at least my braid knot held up which was good so it makes me think my uni knot on the swivel to hook end failed. Also what do i do  next time.... do i just let the fish run, i wasn't next to any rocks or reef so i think i should have next let him go for his life and wait till he stops then wind up when he is tired

any tips/advice would be really helpful and i know there are some kingie slayers here on the forums so i will get good tips:)

• Like 1

Could have busted you off on the cans anchor rope??

But I would ask why you are using a swivel unless you were trolling the live bait?

I would normally just be using a straight through braid to fluro connecting with a FG.

Using this I actually find it hard to even break the line when I occasionally get a snag with 10lb braid & 12lb leader & I can usually pull my 350kg + loaded tinny to vertical line pull. 

Personally 99.9% of the time only use a swivel if I am trolling or in the case of a HD snap swivel when dropping into deep water plus in the same case I can easily change rig from the snap swivel down.

Imo I think the uni is a great quick effective knot but if I am using it in more heavier gauge fishing then I will use the modified uni for a bit of extra strength, even with fluro

Everyone does their own thing but Im happy with the way this goes for me.

How's that new fishing rig going anyway, you must have it by now?? 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Great question @M1100S. I am not expert, but caught and released over 450kingies this year (would have been a lot more if COVID hadn’t interrupted). What I usually do is net them or swing them in by the top shot leader (always a minimum-of 50 or 80 or 130lb, so plenty strong enough for anything under 90cm). I then guide them in between my knees with head facing up and grip FIRMLY (don’t want a head but in the goolies) and remove the hook with a pair of pliers and then either release them over the side by spearing them in head first or tail wrap them with a 4m length of curtain cord and bleed them over the side (kingfish eat much better if bled).

Alternatively if assisting a fisho who has caught to fish, I use lip grippers and hold them  whist removing the hook. I ALWAYS OPEN THE BAIL ARM ON A SPINNING ROD ONCE THE FISH IS IN THE BOAT to have slack line to muck around - it is no joke to remove a well embedded 8/0 or 9/0 Mustad hoodlum hook (my go to live bait hook) from your (or your mates calf muscle).

100% agree with Adrian re knots. I only use a few knots and the Uni knot is my no 1 choice for hooks (unless a 2 hook snell rig) and swivels. And FG knot for braid to mono, unless using a Bimini when I use an Albright improved.

My 2 Bob’s worth - hope this is useful 

Edited by Pickles
Knot addition
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Could have busted you off on the cans anchor rope??

But I would ask why you are using a swivel unless you were trolling the live bait?

I would normally just be using a straight through braid to fluro connecting with a FG.

Using this I actually find it hard to even break the line when I occasionally get a snag with 10lb braid & 12lb leader & I can usually pull my 350kg + loaded tinny to vertical line pull. 

Personally 99.9% of the time only use a swivel if I am trolling or in the case of a HD snap swivel when dropping into deep water plus in the same case I can easily change rig from the snap swivel down.

Imo I think the uni is a great quick effective knot but if I am using it in more heavier gauge fishing then I will use the modified uni for a bit of extra strength, even with fluro

Everyone does their own thing but Im happy with the way this goes for me.

How's that new fishing rig going anyway, you must have it by now?? 

Wasnt trolling just spot locked and dropped the livey down.

What rig would you use for that. I just have a heavy bean sinker to the swivel, then off the swivel about 1m of 50lb fluro to the hook

• 2 weeks later...

Up it 60 or 80lb leader,1 fathom leader,if ya gonna use a swivel use a 3way melted into a snapper lead,set ya drag at 8kg n let the fish knock up a bit but get straight into him the second you can,theres really no enjoying the moment with kingfish,,its either skull drag n get as much line on reel as possible or hold on n hope he doesnt reef ya,,let the drag dictate ,at 8kg u wont stop monsters in their tracks but if your gettin into him n he manages to turn hes head your not gonna pop ya line n the line at 60 to 80 in fc will handle a bit of rubbin against kelp if he gets ya near the bottom