Any old builders?

noelm

Looking for some info, my place has the gutters behind the facia, concealed it's supposed to be called, looks pretty flash, but is useless in heavy rain, looking to pull the whole lot off and getting something "standard" my guess is a box gutter (no fascia) might be the best option, anyone done this, or know anything about it?

All I know is the brackets cost almost as much as the guttering, recently had 60 metres of guttering done and although I could find cheap discounted guttering the brackets remained as dear from one place to another.

Hope someone on here can give some better details.

Frank

• Like 1

This is a bit tricky, if it was just standard old gutter it would be easy, as it stands, the useless design sees the back of the gutter lower than the front, so, when you get bad rain (like yesterday) instead of the water just overflowing onto the grass, it comes over the back, into the eaves, yesterday the rain was so bad, the balcony eave filled up, water running out of the downlights, then inside a window, on to the timber floor, literally poured in, I had a big paint bucket (15l) in the back of my Ute, it filled to over flowing in 15 minutes......

Metal roofing or tiles and is the fascia timber or metal?

One trick can be to get a flashing bent up and slid under the roofing so the top of it is higher than the outside edge of your concealed gutter, usually up to the first roof or tile batten, the other edge folds down over the inside edge of the guttering and is sealed.

That way in heavy rain, water will still flow over the outside edge of the gutter.

If you decide to go down this route, just make sure any different metals are compatible.

There is a profile of colorbond gutter where the outside edge is higher than the inner and Shoalhaven Council requires a flashing as I have described to be fitted to all new homes that use this profile.

Edited by Green Hornet

Sounds like a good case to present to your house insurance. Nothing to loose they will send an assessor and if covered it's in their ball court if it's not covered then it's back to you, but I would be giving it a go.

Frank

Hi @noelm what green hornet mentioned will help, putting extra down pipe or increasing down pipe size (4x3) &/or overflow could also alleviate problem, but in these torrential downpours + hail not many gutters cope well especially if there’s a bit of leaf or debri as well

best solution is a custom box gutter that on high side runs under at least one tile as mentioned earlier then on facia side a tab edge over the top of facia for spillage, additional down pipe & overflow is always added insurance 

A common issue is undersized stormwater or partially blocked pipes & fall. 100mm pvc allows 3 times more volume of water to flow versus 90mm pipe. Hope this information helps, if you have any questions please PM me if you have any queries 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, noelm said:

I would like to fix the problem once and fir all, it looked flash back in the '70s but it reality it's a rubbish idea.

Usually that design had a box gutter made up specifically with a high back, I’m wondering if at some stage it was replaced with something else

• Like 1

Got up and had a look, seems like standard old quad gutter behind the fascia, thinking that maybe remove the fascia, remove old gutter, cut back rafter ends and fit exterior box gutter, the eave sheets will be the "issue" as they will be too wide.

• Like 1

The best and probably easiest thing would be to get someone to remove and replace the eaves sheets, unless you want to replace them yourself.

No doubt you'd be aware you can't remove the existing ones yourself as I assume they'd contain asbestos and you'd need to be licensed.