Callala bay

Davofishing

Hello

first time boat owner as of tomorrow and I have a holiday down at Callala bay in two weeks time. 

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on conditions, where to embark,  basically tips for someone who’s fairly new to boating in general but have an idea of conditions there. I mainly chase flatties but happy to hunt whatever is gong. 

would like to avoid chop if possible, do prefer lake/river fishing so not sure how I’ll go with any roughness. With this in mind, is maybe the basin a better option? 

Any help is much appreciated! 

Edited by Davofishing
Typo

If you prefer to fish more sheltered waters than Jervis Bay, you can always launch at Myola ramp (10 minutes from Callala) and fish Currambene Creek which is well protected. Plenty of good flathead and bream in there, just be aware of the sanctuary zones.

You could also take a 20 minute drive to Culburra and fish the Crookhaven River. There's a good little ramp just off Orient Ave, Orient Point that's relatively quiet and protected from the NE winds.

St Georges Basin is a large expanse of water and can still get extremely choppy when the wind is up. Obviously plan to get there early to beat the wind, or pick a ramp where the wind is blowing offshore and fish in the same vicinity.  

Edited by Green Hornet

Hi Davo, I was in a similar position to you four years ago.  My recommendations are to pick a quiet ramp first up so that you can take your time.  For the first couple of times, take a check list with you from start to finish to make you feel in control.  For instance, mine was pre departure from home i.e. fuel, bait, rods, food, drink etc.  the at ramp. check bungs, undo transom ties, turn on fish finder, pump fuel bulb, remove motor support, have rope ready at front if self launching.  then down ramps, undo safety chain, undo, winch rope, hold rope etc.  And then the opposite for loading boat.  I found (much to my adult boys laughter that it worked for me). Take your time.  I don't know the area so i will let others advise of where might be best, also if you tell folk the size of your boat might assist.  Be warned, It is addictive!! and welcome

• Thanks 1

My apologies guys

4.3m quintrex 40hp cable steer - hope that helps 

Great point @thepud - appreciated. I plan on printing something out like this and laminating it so I also don’t forget something stupid like the plugs 😂😂. It’s bound to happen but hopefully learn from it. I’m so excited to head out for the first time but also finding it very daunting/anxious. Practice makes perfect 😌

apprwciated @Green Hornet . Definitely after sheltered waters - whatever provides the best conditions (least wind, choppiness etc) would be perfect. Both alternate options sound like better approaches - thanks for the suggestions. I’ll do some reading up around these spots. Any recommendations on which might be better for a newcomer or both much the same? 

9 hours ago, Davofishing said:

My apologies guys

4.3m quintrex 40hp cable steer - hope that helps 

Great point @thepud - appreciated. I plan on printing something out like this and laminating it so I also don’t forget something stupid like the plugs 😂😂. It’s bound to happen but hopefully learn from it. I’m so excited to head out for the first time but also finding it very daunting/anxious. Practice makes perfect 😌

apprwciated @Green Hornet . Definitely after sheltered waters - whatever provides the best conditions (least wind, choppiness etc) would be perfect. Both alternate options sound like better approaches - thanks for the suggestions. I’ll do some reading up around these spots. Any recommendations on which might be better for a newcomer or both much the same? 

I think the Crookhaven River would be the better option, just have to drive a little further to the ramp, that's all.

Currambene Creek is narrow, the current flows pretty fast and with all the sanctuary zone, the areas you can fish are limited.

The Crookhaven/Shoalhaven is far bigger, offering more options and with the wider channels a drift for flathead is less influenced by the wind, unless you have an electric motor to keep repositioning the boat. There's plenty of sandflats where you can pump yabbies too if you want some fresh bait.

Also being a new boat owner (congratulations on that) you might like to take the boat for a run and the Crookhaven has far more room to move. Not only that, Currambene Creek has speed restrictions and you won't get your boat up and planing.

• Like 1

I appreciate the response and time taken to provide this info mate. Much appreciated. I’ve decided it’s probably best I stick to land based fishing and leave the boat at home. Given it would be my first voyage, I think I need to practice more with the boat around my local areas before rushing into things. 

In saying that, are you aware of any decent land based fishing spots around Callala? Would prefer to hunt flatties if possible. Happy to travel to Crookhaven if this area if less affected by wind and generally better for fishing. Thanks again for all your help 

• Like 1

You can walk along the beach at Callala and "flick" a lure for a flattie or two early in the day before the wind gets up. A lure will outfish bait here as the beach is flat and featureless, so it pays keep covering ground and find the fish rather than waiting for them to find you. There's the odd good whiting along here too, but they are fussy/shy and will only take the best of baits.

Currambene Creek will produce a few flatties as well around the breakwall and down towards the entrance. As I said before, the current runs hard so a bit more lead or a heavier jighead may be necessary. This is a nice, protected spot to have a throw if the nor'easter is blowing.

At Crookhaven Heads there's a nice sandflat immediately upstream from the boat ramp (take a look on Google Earth). It must be fished at low tide to get access to the drop off and is comfortable fishing in a southerly. You can also pump yabbies here on the flats. Wear a pair of shoes if fishing here, as unless it is a very low tide you'll be wading and there's the odd, plate size stingray around. Nothing to really worry about though as I've fished this flat for many years and never heard of anyone being spiked.

Good luck.

14 hours ago, Davofishing said:

Cheers mate, I’ll likely stick to the beach as it’s local. 

just to confirm, should I target the bay or the beach and just smash the flats there? Picture for clarity 

64C17ECE-C27D-492D-837E-89452365C3B8.jpeg

I don't like to fish Callala Beach (where you've marked in yellow) as it has too many people swimming. I much prefer the other side of the point (where you have marked in red), but from the NE side of your mark and further along the beach away from the people. The trick to being successful here is to keep moving. If you're a lure fisho, think of something relatively small that will attract whiting and bream, as well as flathead. I do pretty good using blades.

Right at the south end of your red line is a shallow, weedy bay and can be a good place to catch a few calamari.