Lessons learnt!

Bennyg78

Hi all

This is not a report where I caught any fish ( someone else did) but caught a heap of learning and knowledge from the guru @DerekD

I am relatively new to lure & soft plastics fishing and have been messing around and making some progress. The amount of information, helpfulness and learning on this site is impressive from a lot of the community but I felt I needed some hands on help.

Through my trials and tribulations I thought it would be a great idea to reach out someone who can put me on the path to lure fishing enlightenment.

Enter one Jedi fishing master by the name of @DerekD

After exchanging some messages on and off here, and  a phone chat about some of the gear I had we met at one of the many fishing wharves around Sydney.

Derek was great at explaining to me the hows and whys of the way he does things:

- such as leader length

- tieing a leader knot using a ridiculously small amount of end line(something for me to work on)

- why he uses certain retrieves

- and probably a 100 other things during the evening. 

Derek's first mission was to look at my casting ability (or lack of) throughout the afternoon. He had me focus on different aspects and utilise different casts forehand, backhand, overhead and baseball style casting. Whilst I am still not 100% proficient I gained so much from him imparting his knowledge and instruction that I improved quite substantially in this session and looking forward to continually improving this.

We had a brief chat on squid jigging and how that works but the main focus was on casting and retrieving lures.

Derek then showed me through a few different retrieval techniques on SP and lures (including a Derek secret technique) some of these I picked up and some will need to be worked on til I get comfortable, during this time Derek also showed me to tie an FG knot which I will be working on.

We also rigged up Dereks bigger rod to get the bigger lures and casts happening which was a heap of fun to see and experience.

In the four hours he spent with me I learnt a heap and improved my casts and retrieves. I feel like I owe @DerekD a case of beer at least for his tuition and help. This guy is so patient and I am sure he has helped many a Raider here.

I am looking forward to our next catch up ad thanks again!

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Bennyg78 said:

Hi all

This is not a report where I caught any fish ( someone else did) but caught a heap of learning and knowledge from the guru @DerekD

I am relatively new to lure & soft plastics fishing and have been messing around and making some progress. The amount of information, helpfulness and learning on this site is impressive from a lot of the community but I felt I needed some hands on help.

Through my trials and tribulations I thought it would be a great idea to reach out someone who can put me on the path to lure fishing enlightenment.

Enter one Jedi fishing master by the name of @DerekD

After exchanging some messages on and off here, and  a phone chat about some of the gear I had we met at one of the many fishing wharves around Sydney.

Derek was great at explaining to me the hows and whys of the way he does things:

- such as leader length

- tieing a leader knot using a ridiculously small amount of end line(something for me to work on)

- why he uses certain retrieves

- and probably a 100 other things during the evening. 

Derek's first mission was to look at my casting ability (or lack of) throughout the afternoon. He had me focus on different aspects and utilise different casts forehand, backhand, overhead and baseball style casting. Whilst I am still not 100% proficient I gained so much from him imparting his knowledge and instruction that I improved quite substantially in this session and looking forward to continually improving this.

We had a brief chat on squid jigging and how that works but the main focus was on casting and retrieving lures.

Derek then showed me through a few different retrieval techniques on SP and lures (including a Derek secret technique) some of these I picked up and some will need to be worked on til I get comfortable, during this time Derek also showed me to tie an FG knot which I will be working on.

We also rigged up Dereks bigger rod to get the bigger lures and casts happening which was a heap of fun to see and experience.

In the four hours he spent with me I learnt a heap and improved my casts and retrieves. I feel like I owe @DerekD a case of beer at least for his tuition and help. This guy is so patient and I am sure he has helped many a Raider here.

I am looking forward to our next catch up ad thanks again!

Don't get a case of beer, he doesn't drink it. LOL Very knowledgeable and helpful is Derek. Practise what he has taught you. bn

• Like 2