Heavy Fast Jigging Setup?

couch fisho

Hi guys,

wanting to jig for kingfish, amberjack, samsonfish and possible doggies,

thinking of going for an Ocea Jigger 4000HG running PE 8 braid on either a Oceans Legacy Pe 5-10 Adrenalin overhead jigging rod or a Shimano Tcurve overhead rod rated to 37kg braid

wondering if this would suit or any other things you want to add

Thanks

Why overhead? Your limited to just live baiting and jigging with an overhead jigging reel, a solid spinning reel like the 18k Certate and Saragossa or 8500 slammer holds 300m of pe8, has 20-25kg of drag and can be put on a longer rod for throwing stickbaits and poppers. 

Also unless your specifically targetting 20kg+ kingies and GT with locked up drag around tight structure pe8 is overkill, pe8 saltiga 12 braid for example has a breaking strain of 118lb. In my opinion the pe5 is all you need, it breaks at 88lbs + you can fit 300m on a 10k reel which is alot lighter and more comfortable for long jigging sessions. I personally would only consider getting a pe8-10 setup for hotspots like three kings in New Zealand and the whitsundays where there is a real chance of hooking a 40kg kingie or GT.

I'm more into topwater but I've read up abit on the master jiggers over in new Zealand. They reckon its 100% worth it to go out on a jigging specific charter to get a feel for the gear used and the mechanical jigging technique before you go out and spend a fortune on your own setup.

Besides jigs and a combo you'll need:

A decent sounder that you know how to use, the goal is to drop the jig in front of the fish's face so locating bait and structure is essential

A gimbal, to make it easier wrestling a big kingy away from structure after you're arms stop working from hours of jigging

A pr bobbin, the pr knot is supposed to be the go to jigging knot so it wouldn't hurt to learn it

Edited by Ken_Oath

the main uses wor be jigging, live baiting, pitch baiting, bottom bashing. I guess light trawling? Although the main purpose of it would be jigging. If you want a more multi purpose reel, look at a penn fathom or a talica. But this reel would be an absolute beast for jigging. 

Thats going to be a great setup for big fish and jigs. as for the rod, your limited to jigging and live baiting, but thats pretty much the soul purpose of the reel. The ideas before were just options, there are much better options. 

If your looking for a more general purpose setup, a spinning reel will be much better but if you only really want to jig, your not going to et much better then that setup. 

as for the line, yeah 80lbs would be perfect, there is an argument for 50, but 80 imo is much better for jigging with such heavy jigs and gear. 

Hope it works out great and suits your purpose

On 3/5/2022 at 7:00 AM, Ken_Oath said:

Why overhead? Your limited to just live baiting and jigging with an overhead jigging reel, a solid spinning reel like the 18k Certate and Saragossa or 8500 slammer holds

Already own a 8500hs slammer 4 with pe 10 on my gt rod, found that when fishing vertical overhead is better for sheer pulling power and strength, also the samsonfish in my area can be 50kg+ in some circumstances with big sharks and heavy structure so almost thinking of going to pe10

• Like 1

15 hours ago, couch fisho said:

Already own a 8500hs slammer 4 with pe 10 on my gt rod, found that when fishing vertical overhead is better for sheer pulling power and strength, also the samsonfish in my area can be 50kg+ in some circumstances with big sharks and heavy structure so almost thinking of going to pe10

Like a slammer 10500? Mines loaded with 150 lbs braid, absolute beast of a reel. Just be ready for an awesome fight when you hook up also the slammers are very heavy to jig with, but I have used mine for jigging 

On 3/10/2022 at 5:41 AM, slothparade said:

Like a slammer 10500? Mines loaded with 150 lbs braid, absolute beast of a reel. Just be ready for an awesome fight when you hook up also the slammers are very heavy to jig with, but I have used mine for jigging 

Also looked at them but u think a bit heavy to be jigging for a while

Ive got a few spin outfits that I use for jigging but like you fancied a change and planned on getting an Ocea jigger 4000 but unfortunately the store owner had sold it when I went to pick it up!!!!.. However I decided to get a talica 12 on a saltiga x 60B as it seemed to cover a bit more range of fishing even though not a dedicated jigging setup. The talica reels actually cast quite well not to mention hold heaps of braid, anyway the deal was to good to not take and I upgraded the handle to a Maxwell extended handle. 

On 3/9/2022 at 5:21 PM, couch fisho said:

Lived over that side of the pond for a while, was part of marine rescue out of Coogee and fished around Roto a bit for jews (WA jews not mulloway jews). Did we ever tow you in!!!!