Light tackle rod recomendations

Ken_Oath

I'm trying to minimalise my tackle collection with the end goal of having only a light, medium and heavy lure combo and a live baiting setup.

Currently I'm looking to replace 2 Daiwa Revros 1-4kg combos with 2500 and 2000 reels, these were bought for $120 each on sale at a shop and I've used them for around 2 years mostly lure fishing bream and flathead. The 2500 was the first lure fishing setup I ever owned and seemed perfect compared to the mono line and fibreglass rods I was used to however last October I bought myself what I would consider a fancy combo (Daiwa saltist mq 4k, daiwa td black slugger 6-12kg, shimano ocea8 pe2 line) for around $800 and the cheepo $120 revros just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I've decided to get rid of the 2 revros combos and get something abit nicer, I have my heart set on the Daiwa td black mq 2500s spooled with saltiga 12 pe0.6 but I could use some suggestions on what rod to get for around $2-300. I would like something around 7-7'6ft that can cast around 10g mostly for targeting bream and flathead.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Abu Garcia 4.0 Veritas range.

I have a  7'4'' 3-5 KG.

Also Ugly Stik Carbon 7'3'' 4-8kg

Dawia TD Black Supercasta 7'5'' 5-10KG.

All great rods.

I use Penn reels.

what penn reel do you use for a light setup? 

I only look at shimano and dawia for light gear and penn for anything bigger then a 4k size reel.

1 hour ago, slothparade said:

what penn reel do you use for a light setup? 

To be honest i reckon the penn clash 2's are a good choice for light reels. They aren't built as heavily as the penn battle 3's but have the same strength and salt water protection. they are also on sale at certain shops at the moment

There's so many good rods out there that match what you're after, so I reckon duck down to the tackle shop, look at a few and find something with the butt length and feels good in the hand.

If you've got the reel sorted, take a look at something from the Atomic Arrowz range, possibly the 7'6", Whiting Tip or the 7'0", 70ML. They're extremely popular rods and with a fair chunk of change left over from $300, you could buy both or stock up on lures.

• Like 1

I'd like to throw in the Daiwa Infeet Z. 1-4kg, from memory 7'2" or 7'3". 

I have the model below and absutely love it. Handles Bream and Flatties well and is light as a feather.

However, I'd suggest taking the TD Black reel and chucking it on to check the balance.

I feel the reel may be a touch heavy for that rod.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chhayzor said:

I'd like to throw in the Daiwa Infeet Z. 1-4kg, from memory 7'2" or 7'3". 

I have the model below and absutely love it. Handles Bream and Flatties well and is light as a feather.

However, I'd suggest taking the TD Black reel and chucking it on to check the balance.

I feel the reel may be a touch heavy for that rod.

@Chhayzor they look awesome, been looking at the base Infeet models atm. So many options currently to choose from

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bennyg78 said:

@Chhayzor they look awesome, been looking at the base Infeet models atm. So many options currently to choose from

They're a pleasure to fish. Especially when paired with a light reel. I've got mine paired with a 2000 Daiwa Gekkabijin and that sits at just over 200 grams. 

And yes, the amount of choice in super light gear is dizzying! Hard to separate the quality from the marketing.