Friends

noelm

The recent thread about how you met your partner kind of got me thinking, how many long time friends do you have? We all have mates and people we know, but I mean proper friends, someone you have been mates with for years, someone you know if you were broken down at 2am and you called, you know he/she will help you? I have a couple I have known for well over 50 years, all through school and into adult life. Some moved away, some still live close, but we all know that if "shit happened" we could count on each other, no questions asked.

• Like 3

I used to motor race years ago. Still have some very good friends from that era. In fact one emails me every week. I also have a lomg time school friend and  an old workmate who is female and a really good friend.

• Like 2

Yeah, true friends you don't need to see every day, you just know they are true to you (if you get what I mean) all my long time friends all still call each other by nicknames, I can't remember calling them by their real names. We go through life making friends, but some are just here then gone, some stay in touch, some unfortunately pass away (especially as you get older) but your real "best friends" will remain that way forever.

• Like 1

Good post mate.The only people I have that I can count on when the chips are down is my immediate family and that's all we need.

We don't have "friends".We keep to ourselves.Yes,we know people at work and outside but that's what they are....People we know.

• Like 1

Family is another thing altogether, I have lots of friends, but only maybe 3-4 that are what I call "best friends" I know that if I needed help with anything (not just a lift or something) they would be there, and the reciprocal, they know they can rely on me. 

On 3/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, Rebel said:

I used to motor race years ago. Still have some very good friends from that era. In fact one emails me every week. I also have a lomg time school friend and  an old workmate who is female and a really good friend.

Just as a side note, what did you race?

I have 2 such best mates. I have never had a lot of good friends at the one time but have a hell of a lot of fishing mates that come and go, sadly many of them passed away. I have been best man at 3 mates weddings 2 of which are the 2 first mentioned and the third sadly passed away.

I still have several fishing mates from my old fishing sites Fishnet and F A N G NSW that I see occasionally but sadly I don't get out fishing much these days due to poor health.

Once I get this Savage up and going I should venture out a bit more frequently. 

Problem is distance between us only 1 mate lives close so don't catch up with mates much these days.

Frank

• Like 1