DIY Hardbodied lures

Bluebenbomb

Has anyone tried making/painting their own lures?

I found a sugapen a few months ago, and it didn't have any colour left on it. I tired using it, but there were no bites.

So I decided to change the hooks and colour it with paint (I also added 5 layers of water-resistant finishing)

Here's my final product. Feel free to give suggestions/comments.

sugapen.jpeg

• Like 2

I reckon it will go alright. No experience with those particular lures but from what I gather HOW you retrieve them is more important than how they present in the water. Definitely get out there when you can and give it a go.

Regarding people making their own lures, it can be a time consuming and costly exercise. Like most hobbies, it would be very rewarding to be good at it. Might upset the balance between making them and how little time is left to use them. bn

• Like 1

I don't see why it shouldn't work, but then again I don't see why the clear didn't either as a clear surface lure is one of my favourites and most productive.

I made a few larger minnow style lures from pine and maple years ago in the same style as the 6 inch Nilsmaster Invincible.

The Invincibles were a great bonito lure from the rocks and although I caught a few fish on my creations, I soon retired them as I couldn't get them to swim as good as the originals.

Another option for you could be to buy some clear "blank" lure bodies on ebay and paint them up yourself. There's quite a few familiar body shapes available.

• 2 weeks later...