Mort Bay, May 7th

NoMoreDonuts

A short session yesterday afternoon on the Yeend St pontoon with my family and the family of my son’s school friend. Sensational weather but it’s definitely getting chilly when the sun gets low. 

I was on soft plastics and everyone else was using servo pilchards.

Ten minutes in and my wife hooked something quite sizeable and was fighting hard. Thought it was a trevally but after longish battle (which my wife played like a pro) it turned out to be what I think is a 40cm frigate mackerel?

64A55180-6CB4-44C2-932B-CD5F963418B6.thumb.jpeg.8d677d91e95db1916445a56bcf57ac2b.jpeg

Five minutes later I was onto what I thought was hard fighting bream but turned out to be very healthy 36cm trevally.

B7ED0150-0CA2-4938-BCA0-503D2AD5FC2E.thumb.jpeg.b22c04121f798121e6fdcd937e6528ef.jpeg

It went a bit quiet after that but it was a great afternoon and nice to break a recent run of donuts. Only dampener was in their excitement to see the trevally one the kids stepped on my rod and bent a guide.    
  • Like 13

41 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

As good as it is to catch fish yourself, it's often nice to see the family do the same.

Totally agree. I was more pumped seeing my wife bring in the mackerel than landing a fish myself. It’s been awesome watching her develop as a fisherperson. She’s got a knack for landing a new species every session. Just can’t get her onto a humble flatty for some reason 🤔

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Bit of a odd question here, But did you catch the frigate mackerel when they were busting up on the surface.Or just while fishing normally, I’m just curious as iv seen them in the bay just swimming around And all without any action on the surface.  

Didn’t notice any bust ups. It was caught on a standard running sinker rig.

A couple of nice fish there @NoMoreDonuts

The fish in your first pic is not a Frigate Mackerel, its a Mackerel Tuna.

Two very similar looking fish, but the easiest way to distinguish between the two is, a Mackerel Tuna has the black spots on the belly below the pectoral fin and the Frigate doesn't.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

A couple of nice fish there @NoMoreDonuts

The fish in your first pic is not a Frigate Mackerel, its a Mackerel Tuna.

Two very similar looking fish, but the easiest way to distinguish between the two is, a Mackerel Tuna has the black spots on the belly below the pectoral fin and the Frigate doesn't.

Thanks for the clarification! That’s a super subtle difference… I hadn’t even noticed those dots.

• Like 1