Baitcaster Reel help

sam bros

Hey Raiders,

I've always wanted to have a baitcaster in the arsenal. And I managed to get a abu garcia reyrex baitcast rod 4-8kg 6'6" for a really cheap price on clearance.

I wanted to match it to a reel, but I got no idea what size reel or brand to match it with since I've only fished with spin gear

I was told to match it to a 150 size reel, and to put slightly heavier braid to top backlash? 

I saw the daiwa 100 strike force reel on clearance . Wondering if this would be a suitable reel for this rod. Maybe with 15lb braid

Any suggestions are welcome. Happy to spend up to about $200 for a reel.

Thanks 

That reel looks fine. On paper, it would have enough drag to handle the line class you are using.

It's a bit over your budget ($269), but if you can stretch to a Shimano SLX DC, I've read that the digital casting control is the bees knees. It would be worth the money if you can afford it. It sounds like there is almost no learning curve associated with using it. But it's one of those things, you might not  fully appreciate it until you've learned to cast a more traditional baitcaster.

On the line, I have always been advised by the tackle shop to have slightly heavier braid on baitcasters than I otherwise would. I have 10lb when I would use 6lb on the same application with a spinning reel, and 20lb when I would use 10. I never fully understood why, but I went along with it.

I've had my eyes on putting together a Rayrex/SLX DC combo for a couple of weeks now, but I just can't justify it to myself as I have several outfits that do the same thing.

7 hours ago, sam bros said:

Hey Raiders,

I've always wanted to have a baitcaster in the arsenal. And I managed to get a abu garcia reyrex baitcast rod 4-8kg 6'6" for a really cheap price on clearance.

I wanted to match it to a reel, but I got no idea what size reel or brand to match it with since I've only fished with spin gear

I was told to match it to a 150 size reel, and to put slightly heavier braid to top backlash? 

I saw the daiwa 100 strike force reel on clearance . Wondering if this would be a suitable reel for this rod. Maybe with 15lb braid

Thanks 

OK you have the rod now you need to get the reel.

What I suggest you do is try several different reels to see IF these style of casting suits you. You will need heaps of practice before you are going to be happy with a bait caster.

I have several different ones here and I suggest you come to my place and we go over to the park with a couple of casting plugs and I will teach you how to use the reels. I will teach you the right way to use them from scratch so you don't develop any bad habits that are hard to get rid of later on.

I have several good condition 2nd hand reels here that you may want to choose one off and save heaps of dollars on buying new, but no pressure if you don't like any that I have.

Give me a PM for my address and we can work out when best suits you to come and have a lesson.

After you have had some practice with the plugs we could IF you like go down to the water so you could get a better feel of some reels.

Frank

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sam bros said:

Hey Raiders,

Thanks 

What are you going to target with your baitcaster set up? I have a 4-8kg which is rigged with a 150 reel and 20lb braid. It casts well , though not far, and I have caught some nice Murray Cod on it. Let us know how you plan to use the new set up, what species you will target and it will be easier to give you some definitive answers.

If you have little or no experience with baitcast outfits, consider taking Frank up on his offer...they can be a bit tricky to learn.

bn

• Thanks 1

I pick up my new Curado DC today. I tried a cheaper reel but should have saved my money!!

Interesting regarding use of heavier line. Makes me feel better as I have a heap of 30lb braid so will use that.

• Like 2