Buying a new boat interstate and registering in NSW

darbio

G’day all,

I’ve got my eyes on a new boat in QLD which I want to bring back down to NSW. The boat has never been registered in QLD. 

What do I need to do to make the initial registration in NSW? Can a QLD vendor provide a HIN certificate that will be recognised in NSW?

Are there any “gotchas” to be aware of?

Thanks,

Darbio

Welcome aboard.

Been through this.

Make sure you have a bill of sale with all the details. Owners name & address. Phone No.

Hin No. ?

Engine No.

Trailer rego.

No Money owing on the above.

You will have to get a NSW blue slip for the trailer.

Contact the RMS for any more details.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can get a unregistered trailer permit to transport the boat and trailer back to NSW. Boat does not need to be registered.

HIN number for the boat, I know a guy that will come to your address and give you the certificate , if you want it PM me he is in Liverpool area but is mobile. Blue slip for trailer is pretty easy as long as it's roadworthy. 

Services NSW will issue you with the nearest to your location, you will need a weigh bridge ticket for the trailer so boat needs to be off trailer to obtain this.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Thanks 1

I  went through this a few years ago with a 2001 quintrex.  Had no problems registering boat but trailer was a different matter.  Trailer had a little rust that had to be fixed as well as having to comply with current regs such as side reflectors etc.  Good luck.  Ron 

• Thanks 1

I think I need to clarify, is the boat NEW, or second hand? You said new in your first post, but maybe you mean "new to you" and it's second hand? makes quite a difference to how you go about it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, noelm said:

I think I need to clarify, is the boat NEW, or second hand? You said new in your first post, but maybe you mean "new to you" and it's second hand? makes quite a difference to how you go about it.

The boat is new, as in straight from the manufacturer. 

Thank you for all of your answers. Luckily I already have the trailer and it’s registered in NSW (from a previous boat).

So, just to clarify, I will need to get a HIN certificate in NSW and this is not something which can be provided by the dealer in QLD?

Edited by darbio