Meadowbank Bream

Little_Flatty

On 7/4/2022 at 6:46 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Great to hear from you Niall. I think you're right about the normal use case for fluro. Crankas are part of the intended use for this outfit as well.

My main reason for using it was that (until this weekend) the water had become really clear, even up my way, and I wanted to fish as light as possible.

...aaah who am I kidding? I just needed a fix of retail therapy 🤣 The good thing about fishing 4lb and lighter is that you don't need 10kg of drag, so you don't exactly need a Twinpower or a Stella.

I do generally find winter lure fishing much more difficult and in years gone by I normally stopped fishing for the winter. This year I've decided to try to fish through the winter, so that mandates trying something different. Interesting that you point out deeper water and more current, because that's where I've been finding the fish.

Yeah you'll definitely find the odd fish venturing up into the shallows throughout the day but more often than not they're all hanging together in the deeper water.  Find that current and there'll be few there for sure.

Judging by the few fish I've caught on other people's straight-through setups, it's a lot easier to keep a hold of fish (not really an issue when you're fishing plastics as it's a big single hook).  You can also pole fish out of the water more readily because you needn't worry about a leader knot breaking.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 8:18 PM, Niall said:Definitely tough work throwing lures from shore in the winter - need to find that deeper water and some current.  The bays that all fire in the summer go cold, still and clear this time of year.  Fishing the edges is mostly fruitless unless you're out extra early or fishing nights I reckon.

Good observation that @Niall , at blackwattle last night 10ish the fish were on the edges tight against the wall and not cruising the open shallows like they were in warmer months. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just with fluoro mainline...from what I've seen 4lb and 6lb fluoro mainlines seem quite popular in the USA for trout fishing, though I personally would go with braid.

As said before, it has its advantages but so does braid, so now I'm starting to wonder