Meadowbank Bream

Little_Flatty

So I got out this morning, but struggled to get up early as usual. On the water at 6.15am and started casting.

This time I had a new toy: a new shallow spool ABU reel spooled with 4lb straight through flurocarbon. I'd been curious for a while about giving this a go, and yesterday bit the bullet. Given that I'd had some donuts on the bream in the weeks gone by, I thought this might help me get my mojo back. I paired it with my trusty 1-3kg Veritas. It is dangerous having a local tackle shop that is on my way to the supermarket!

This morning I hit the wharf precinct. I was throwing a 2 inch Berkley Hawg on a little jighead. That lure had been hiding in my collection since I was living with my parents a long time ago, so I thought it was time to give it a swim!

A few casts in, I come up tight on a nice little just-legal bream:

image.png.7bbf79608b6f64d5e076beee88b8a7f4.png

Even though it wasn't a big fish, it was a fun fight. Like all the wharf bream at Meadowbank, it was a dirty fighter and gave me a run for my money on the light flurocarbon. I could get used to this!

One of the old regulars on the wharf came to have a look. He eats the upper Parra fish, so I contributed it to his dinner. He was happy as he said he hadn't caught a fish in a week.

Back home by seven to make school lunches and drop off. Probably my last fish before the rains come.

• Like 17

22 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Your motto is "Carpe Diem" Mike :) 

Well done and I do like that measuring item with no advertising on it!! Where does that come from?

Alas, "Carpe Diem" applies equally to the tackle shop as it does to fishing opportunities 🤣

I got the fish measure off Kogan. It was a cheapie compared to the Hobie models. The only issue is that the measurements are about 3mm short, so you need to use your judgement. Also, on @Green Hornet's advice, I went over the numbers with permanent marker. I'll see if I can find the link and send it to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice fish Mike. Good to get out and chuck a lure before the weather turns.

Did you have any line twist problems fishing a plastic with straight through FC? I often fish 3lb FC in clear water and it twists way more than mono or braid.

In regards to the fish measure. I anyone wants a cheap one, they’re pretty easy to make by cutting a length of PVC sewer pipe and end cap in half and adding an adhesive tape measure.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Your motto is "Carpe Diem" Mike :) 

Well done and I do like that measuring item with no advertising on it!! Where does that come from?

Needs a Deckee and Fishraider sticker on it 😉

Great to see a healthy looking bream come out of the river Mike !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Did you have any line twist problems fishing a plastic with straight through FC? I often fish 3lb FC in clear water and it twists way more than mono or braid.

Too early to say! I didn't notice any line twist but I probably only made about 20 casts in my little session. I do note that the line I was using (siglon) was much less springy than I expected.

I'll let you know re the line twist as I fish more with it.

1 hour ago, Bennyg78 said:

hey @Little_Flatty

Nice fish!! How do you find the straight through casts compared to a braid to FC leader outfit?

It casts fine, not any worse than braid. At 4lb, the diameter of the line is very thin anyway, and likely smoother than braid. I'm led to believe that the flurocarbon you use for a mainline is not quite the same as the stuff you use for leaders (for one, the leader material is tougher and springier, and second, the mainline stuff is available in much longer lengths). I probably wouldn't use any more than 4lb fluro as a mainline; any heavier than this and I'd probably start using braid.

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

Needs a Deckee and Fishraider sticker on it 😉

Great to see a healthy looking bream come out of the river Mike !

🤔 I might need to do something about that...

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Nice to see somebody else use flurocarbon.

Yep, you always have to try new things (having fished for 35 years, I can't believe that I'm suggesting that the use of any kind of monofilament is 'new'!). I definitely don't miss carrying/tying leaders!

27 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Nice job @Little_Flatty. Good to see you posting again! I agree with you - I had an a shop shop within walking distance, and every Thursday, I told myself, just browse - nothing more. But of course, I didn't have the willpower, and blew $20 every time. Now that I have moved, I'm happy I stopped my buying addiction!

Back in my cycling days I used to buy a lot of my equipment online. The free delivery threshold and low prices got me to buy more things and more often than I really needed. One day I said enough is enough, and started to buy everything I needed at FULL RETAIL PRICE from a local bike shop. After a year, I SAVED A LOT OF MONEY!

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Too early to say! I didn't notice any line twist but I probably only made about 20 casts in my little session. I do note that the line I was using (siglon) was much less springy than I expected.

I'll let you know re the line twist as I fish more with it.

The FC I’ve used is Sunline Sniper and from what I’ve read, all casting FC seems to have twisting issues when fishing plastics. I also believe casting FC  is blended with a percentage of mono to help it behave on a spin reel’s spool. 

I thought I’d get around the issue by using my BFS baitcaster and although not as bad, the problem is still there, no matter how straight you rig the plastics.

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

The FC I’ve used is Sunline Sniper and from what I’ve read, all casting FC seems to have twisting issues when fishing plastics. I also believe casting FC  is blended with a percentage of mono to help it behave on a spin reel’s spool. 

I thought I’d get around the issue by using my BFS baitcaster and although not as bad, the problem is still there, no matter how straight you rig the plastics.

Interesting. Did this start from the outset, or did it build up over time? For line to get twisted, something had to twist it in the first place.

I can't see how an SP would spin badly enough to twist the line noticeably and still catch you fish (and I'm assuming you are catching plenty of fish). If you're using a baitcaster, that completely eliminates the prospect of the reel causing the twist.

Then the other possibility is incorrect spooling, but I think it's a very safe assumption that you know how to spool a reel.

Which leaves one other possibility; could the line be already twisted when manufactured? I researched this and it seems this might be a possible cause. I can't understand how a manufacturer would twist line during manufacture. Weird.

I'm curious to keep fishing with this setup just to see if I encounter the same issue.

Correction to my previous post, I've got Sunline Basic FC on the reel (not Siglon).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Which leaves one other possibility; could the line be already twisted when manufactured? I researched this and it seems this might be a possible cause. I can't understand how a manufacturer would twist line during manufacture. Weird

Another nice quick flick session you’re definitely making the most of small windows of opportunity & getting rewarded for your efforts

18 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Makes one wonder if the line twist is a combination of spiralling during a cast & the manufacturing process 

When I used to get line twist in mono from casting, memory in the line or someone had incorrectly spooled we’d feed most of the line with nothing on the end out the back of a moving boat & give it a few minutes before winding back in. In your case LF a quick ferry ride 😁

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 2

In regards to the line twist issues, it starts from the outset and I can’t get my head around why it happens. If I spool up the same reel, the same way, with 3lb mono, I don’t have a problem and by that I mean no twist whatsoever. I can only put it down to FC being stiffer to mono and that’s enough to cause the issue. I’ve tried a few different brands and they are all the same.

I am meticulous about the way I rig my plastics and considering I use mostly curly tail grubs with this line, I’m confident they don’t spin in the water and agree with @61 crusherthat spinning in air during the cast causes the twist.

I fish this way mainly from a kayak and overall the issue is easily dealt with by snipping off the lure and running the unrigged line out the back when repositioning for a new drift. 

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 3

@61 crusher @Green Hornet, never thought about the prospect of a spinning lure during the cast, but of course that is a valid cause! Only thing that raises my eyebrows is the fact that this does not happen with mono or braid.

50 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Good to see your back in form!

nice bream to start off the day.

Thanks Larkin. Winters have always been slim pickings for me, but historically I haven’t tried as hard and never really changed things up for the colder weather. Maybe the lighter line and different presentations might improve my chances. Had another go this morning for 20 mins and missed a few hits. I might have found a new source of entertainment for the winter.

• Like 3

Was good to meet you the other morning Mike. Nice bream there, always great to break the dreaded donuts

I know it was a short sesh but did you feel the extra stretch in the straight through FC made it harder to set  your plastic and  did you think it made it harder to detect hits both because of the stretch and lower visibility compared to braid?

I'm interested to know as these are the reasons I've never tried straight through

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Was good to meet you the other morning Mike. Nice bream there, always great to break the dreaded donuts

I know it was a short sesh but did you feel the extra stretch in the straight through FC made it harder to set  your plastic and  did you think it made it harder to detect hits both because of the stretch and lower visibility compared to braid?

I'm interested to know as these are the reasons I've never tried straight through

Was good to meet you too Richard!

As to the stretch, it's too early to know. It's definitely harder to see, that's for sure, but that is kind of the point of fishing light flurocarbon, amongst other reasons. I did miss a few hits, but that's hardly out of the ordinary for me 🤣 Suffice to say I did feel the hits.

The stretch in the line is noticeable when you get snagged, that's for sure. That might not be a bad thing either; when you're fishing that light and often with tiny hooks, a bit of forgiveness in the line is a good thing.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, Green Hornet said:

In regards to the fish measure. I anyone wants a cheap one, they’re pretty easy to make by cutting a length of PVC sewer pipe and end cap in half and adding an adhesive tape measure.

Look like you are cracking the winter bream code! Love the fish measure board.

Like @Green Hornet suggested, im looking to make a cheap one for my new kayak since it doesn't have a fish measure. Just haven't gotten around to it. 

Lots of YouTube videos going around on how to make one.

• Like 2

@Little_FlattyAs I have written before I only use top of the line Mono & flurocarbon leader. Since I have been spooling my line with an Ecooda the line spools on a lot better. I live opposite a wide creek that runs into Tuggerah lakes, so with any new gear I test it before I go fishing. I use a 40g Spin doctor to elimate line twist. I might have to cast three times before it works. I also use two small swivels sometimes & I use clips to attach the lure to the leader.

I also have small clips in various sizes fitted with small swivels that work.

i don't have line twist problems anymore.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Interesting you're using the straight through fluro for plastics fishing.  I've always associated it more with fishing hardbodies and cranka crabs and the like - I believe it helps a lot in helping tiny treble hooks keep a hold of a fish.

I've yet to venture down that road but I did drop a couple of fish the other day using cranka crabs w/ braid and I reckon a little stretch might have kept me hooked up in that scenario.

I'll have to buy another reel now and try it out - my wife will be thrilled 😂

Definitely tough work throwing lures from shore in the winter - need to find that deeper water and some current.  The bays that all fire in the summer go cold, still and clear this time of year.  Fishing the edges is mostly fruitless unless you're out extra early or fishing nights I reckon.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Niall said:

Interesting you're using the straight through fluro for plastics fishing.  I've always associated it more with fishing hardbodies and cranka crabs and the like - I believe it helps a lot in helping tiny treble hooks keep a hold of a fish.

I've yet to venture down that road but I did drop a couple of fish the other day using cranka crabs w/ braid and I reckon a little stretch might have kept me hooked up in that scenario.

I'll have to buy another reel now and try it out - my wife will be thrilled 😂

Definitely tough work throwing lures from shore in the winter - need to find that deeper water and some current.  The bays that all fire in the summer go cold, still and clear this time of year.  Fishing the edges is mostly fruitless unless you're out extra early or fishing nights I reckon.

Great to hear from you Niall. I think you're right about the normal use case for fluro. Crankas are part of the intended use for this outfit as well.

My main reason for using it was that (until this weekend) the water had become really clear, even up my way, and I wanted to fish as light as possible.

...aaah who am I kidding? I just needed a fix of retail therapy 🤣 The good thing about fishing 4lb and lighter is that you don't need 10kg of drag, so you don't exactly need a Twinpower or a Stella.

I do generally find winter lure fishing much more difficult and in years gone by I normally stopped fishing for the winter. This year I've decided to try to fish through the winter, so that mandates trying something different. Interesting that you point out deeper water and more current, because that's where I've been finding the fish.

• Like 1

Good that you got a short session in before the deluge hit. Might be some time before you get out again. I'm heading out to rid the Lake of some Carp, when it warms up a bit. We've had very little rain in the MIA, yet the river is running a banker. I never use braid on my Murray Cod bait fishing gear. Don't have to cast too far though. Such is life. bn

• Like 1