1000 or 2500?

Drunkenfisho

Looking for a new light reel that can be matched to an oldish rod. It will be used for throwing plastics for bream and flatties (basic estuary stuff) and the nasci fits my budget. The only problem is I like using light ish reels whereas the nasci is heavier than my other reels. So, I am considering the 1000 nasci, and I know this is okay for bream, but never owning a reel this small, will it handle flathead and other estuary species as well as the 2500s?

I use a 2500 and find it works really well, I personally think stick with the 2500 but that can depend on your budget and how much line you want on your spool because I use the reel for squidding as well.

Just now, Isaac Ct said:

I use a 2500 and find it works really well, I personally think stick with the 2500 but that can depend on your budget and how much line you want on your spool because I use the reel for squidding as well.

Thanks, I would be spooling the reel with some 6lb fine braid and wouldn't mind having a 1000 in my arsenal, but depends on whether they can handle a decent flattie with ease, as a 2500 does

41 minutes ago, Drunkenfisho said:

Thanks, I would be spooling the reel with some 6lb fine braid and wouldn't mind having a 1000 in my arsenal, but depends on whether they can handle a decent flattie with ease, as a 2500 does

Ok, I have spooled mine with 6lb mono and I think that should be fine. Probably some others raiders who know a bit more about it.

2 hours ago, Drunkenfisho said:

Shouldn't be a problem. Unless you are trying to skulldrag a fish you'd be surprised at how big a fish you can land with light drag and a bit of patience. So what if it takes a bit longer to land - it is not like you are picking up huge fish every second cast so you may as well enjoy the fight when you are fortunate enough to hook a good fish.

I'm kind of with Isaac on the 2500 but I do own 2x 1000 reels. One was a present as a thank you from someone I spent a lot of time mentoring and the other I bought as I wanted to set it up with 3lb fluoro all the way through. I use them in the inner harbour for topwater bream and whiting but would feel confident hooking pelagics on them too.

BTW have you looked at the Shimano website at the various specs for comparison?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used 3 daiwa reels with 1000 and 1500 spools for a few years fishing ANSA comps with no problems catching numerous flatties over 70cm on 1kg pretest line including 2 almost identical 97cm ones that went over 5.6kg.  Big flathead are no problem on little reels as long as you have a well kept drag that is set right and you keep your cool. Ron 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Drunkenfisho said:

I enjoy using 1000 reels (the reel in my profile pic is an old Twinpower 1000 from 2005/6 or thereabouts) because I feel that smaller reels are more comfortable to use. As the others have said, they are perfectly capable as long as the drag is set right.

That said, I have gradually migrated to 2000 and 2500 reels as I have a bit more line capacity to play with and casting performance is better.

3 hours ago, DerekD said:

Shouldn't be a problem. Unless you are trying to skulldrag a fish you'd be surprised at how big a fish you can land with light drag and a bit of patience. So what if it takes a bit longer to land - it is not like you are picking up huge fish every second cast so you may as well enjoy the fight when you are fortunate enough to hook a good fish.

I'm kind of with Isaac on the 2500 but I do own 2x 1000 reels. One was a present as a thank you from someone I spent a lot of time mentoring and the other I bought as I wanted to set it up with 3lb fluoro all the way through. I use them in the inner harbour for topwater bream and whiting but would feel confident hooking pelagics on them too.

BTW have you looked at the Shimano website at the various specs for comparison?

I did check out the specs, and think I might buy myself one, (on sale at some stores) especially now I'm getting serious about ultra Finesse fishing

I bought the 1000 Nasci and 1-4kg Raider rod for trout fishing 12 months ago, for which it is awesome. 
it is heavy for a 1000 size, but also very solid. 
It has since also become a favourite estuary setup for Flathead/Bream/Whiting, flicking plastics, soft vibes and teeny poppers. 
I can’t see any Flathead causing it grief with over 100m of 8lb braid. 
I vote the 1000 over the 2500 (which I also have for snapper). 

• Like 3