Disadvantages of heavier main line/leader?

bxtn

Hi, so I'm a beginner angler currently just using a Shimano rod and reel Sienna combo with 10lb mono for some basic bait fishing but looking to start on some lures.

Last week I picked up a Daiwa TD Black Wicked Weasel and a Shimano Sedona 2500FI to start on some soft plastics. My target species are flatties but also hoping to catch some bream too. I was thinking of getting 6lb braid and 10lb fluorocarbon leader but would that be too heavy for catching bream as well?

Like I read that heavier lines means you'll get less bites than a lighter line but can anyone explain why? Would I also be able to catch bream at a decent rate while also getting flatties with 10lb fluoro?

Thanks.

There's a couple of reasons why light line gets more bites, one is the fish can't "see" the line and things look more normal, second lures/bait present more natural, rather that be restricted by heavy line and so on. Bream right in close to shore around snags in very shallow water can be quite picky, and lighter line casts better.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 4

:1welcomeani: @bxtn

As @noelm says, lighter is almost always better (this applies also to sinkers/jigheads/lures, as well). However, it's all relative to your fishing environment and target species. Experience will teach you what is appropriate (or you can just ask here).

6lb braid and 10lb flurocarbon leader is fine for your average bream and flatties. You might need to go lighter for bream when the water is clear (say 4-6lb), as is often the case in winter when there hasn't been much rain. That's just a case of keeping an extra spool of lighter leader on hand.

I second what @noelmmentioned.

Another aspect is that with heavier braid you lose casting distance. I've seen several meters difference in casting distance when the people I was mentoring were using 8lb or 10lb braid versus the 4lb braid I was using on like for like lures. Braid overtests most times anyway and the 4lb I use was more like 12lb actual breaking strain. They were probably using the equivalent of 20lb breaking strain. While lure fishing is not necessarily about casting distance it is about covering new ground and with lighter line you get that advantage.

The other thing I've noticed is that when you get significantly heavier on the leader it can impact on the movement of the lure.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

I guess in a way, it's quite complicated, yet quite simple at the same time. A lot depends on species and location, no use fishing for (say) Drummer around the rocks with 2kg line, just as it's not advisable to fish for Blackfish in a river with 10kg line. It's all about maximising a bite in the first place, against the chance of landing the fish.

• Like 3

Light is definitely better for just general bait fishing in estuarys. Personally I use 8lbe for bream and flattys but in my big bream stop I'll up it to 15-20 as it's right amongst the rocks and need that abrasion resistance, but definitely decreases the amount of bites but gives me the chance to land the fish.  

10 lbs is a little heavy for bream, but will work. Just depends on where you are. Flathead, I prefer 10 minimum but prefer more like 15 lbs. Off the beach I'll go more like 20 though.