Parra Trevs and Toads

Little_Flatty

Headed out with my daughter this morning to Hunters Hill, with the hope of getting her onto her first leatherjacket. It took a bit of discipline, but I didn't bring any of my usual luring gear, with the main focus being on kids fishing.

When we arrived, there were a couple of ISO anglers out there. One of them already had a decent bream.

Got our first baits in the water. I was fishing unweighted bread (squeezed into a dough) and my daughter was on prawns. Not long after we started, my daughter got sight of a school of toads and all thoughts of leatherjacket were dispensed with. This is sight fishing at its best in her books.

Meanwhile, a school of trevs moved in and my line zipped across the water as a spirited fish took my bait. I had a hard time keeping the fish out of the pylons and rocks, but eventually I got it in. Pound for pound, these fish are just spectacular fighters and great entertainment to catch. It was a fat little  almost-legal trev:

image.png.f6b1d3a6c7e441d6b566c937a0756aa1.png

After this happy snap, the trev was released.

After a couple of toads and a couple of missed takes for me, my daughter decides she wants to cast a lure around, so I rig ourselves up with a couple of her lures and we move to the flats/dropoffs. Nothing decides to play and once we get sight of toads, my daughter asks to re-rig again, which I do.

One more toad caught and released then we decide to go home. We really should have capitalised more on the school of trevs moving in, but toads remain the name of the game when the kids are around!

• Like 10

I also forgot to mention, when my daughter misses a fish, she throws a Happy Gilmore style dummy spit. It would be funny if it didn't come with the threat of ending the trip! Ah well, some important personal development lessons there, we will have to do more fishing!

Ironically, when driving home, one of the local schools had a Nelson Mandela quote up, something along the lines of 'I never lose. Either I win, or I learn'.

• Like 2

Good fun teaching the young ones to fish.

when fishing for jackets off a wharf, I’ll drop a bait alongside every pylon and work my way around the wharf - I find some pylons hold more fish than others. 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 6:29 PM, Larkin said:

Good fun teaching the young ones to fish.

when fishing for jackets off a wharf, I’ll drop a bait alongside every pylon and work my way around the wharf - I find some pylons hold more fish than others. 

Thanks for the tip. I’ve just realised I haven’t fished for jackets in years and that’s a shame. An easier and more satisfying feed is hard to find.

On 8/6/2022 at 6:30 PM, campr said:

With the weather as it is and the lack of reports, I am very disapointed.  Where are the photos of the toads?  Ron 

Ah of course Ron! Next time!🤣