Another Little Jew

OWZAT

G`day Fellas ,

My boy , a neighbour and his neighbours kids , hit the beach just on dark.

Loading up golf ball size dollops of fresh beach worms , they cast into a gutter close to shore and waited.

A couple of runs here and there , and finally Daniel hooks up .

After a 10 minute or so battle , the Fish below , was gilled and dragged up the beach by my son to the Cheers of the onlookers.

To say Danny was stoked would be an understatement , this was dannys Ist jew , and how often does a fella break his maiden with a 20 pounder.

Time to get off my butt I think .

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

G`day Fellas ,

Martin , verry soon my friend , verry soon.

This dicky knee of mine is taking some time to click in , but I might just chance it one day next week.

I thought I might wade the lagoon after flatties for the day Ist , and see how it pulls up.

Mick

Nice work. :thumbup:

Which beach was it?

Old Bar Lb, in between Forster and Harrington.

Mick

Mick - you and your family appear to be the Jewie masters of the North Coast!!!

As a long-time fisherman who's only recently started to specifically hunt Jew off the beaches (no success so far) I was wondering if you could answer a couple of specific questions:

1. Can you get em in rough seas, i.e. is it worth fishing a deep hole/gutter that is being hammered by big surf, or would it be better to wait until the surf is a little smaller and the water in the hole is greener/less washy?

2. How do you fit so much beachworm on the hook!!?!!

3. If you were to view a beach and see three gutters, one next to the shore, one about 10m from the shore, and one out the back, which one would you fish for Jewies? If your answer is all of them then is one of them likely to be more productive than the others?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but I'm VERY keen to break my beach Jew drought (is it a drought if you've never caught one before?) and after 6 sessions using fresh tailor/squid/yakkas I have nought to show for my efforts other than a big shovel nose and a couple of rogue salmon.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Mondo

Mick - you and your family appear to be the Jewie masters of the North Coast!!!

As a long-time fisherman who's only recently started to specifically hunt Jew off the beaches (no success so far) I was wondering if you could answer a couple of specific questions:

1. Can you get em in rough seas, i.e. is it worth fishing a deep hole/gutter that is being hammered by big surf, or would it be better to wait until the surf is a little smaller and the water in the hole is greener/less washy?

2. How do you fit so much beachworm on the hook!!?!!

3. If you were to view a beach and see three gutters, one next to the shore, one about 10m from the shore, and one out the back, which one would you fish for Jewies? If your answer is all of them then is one of them likely to be more productive than the others?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but I'm VERY keen to break my beach Jew drought (is it a drought if you've never caught one before?) and after 6 sessions using fresh tailor/squid/yakkas I have nought to show for my efforts other than a big shovel nose and a couple of rogue salmon.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Mondo

Hey mondo .

I. I/We generally don`t fish rough seas here , mainly because of the shallowness of our beach , and although we may be a bit "picky" , its because we have seen so many good fish lost in a heavy dump, plus the fact we live less than 500 metres from the beach , so can afford to pick our time.

2. A Long Shank 9/0`s allow plenty of worm to be threaded on , and one trick a "Gun" Local showed us was to thread the Ist worm well past the eye of the hook to about a foot above it , then you can thread , loop and droop the next couple and so on.

Fresh Tailor fillets , next best , are threaded on like a pouch or Pyramid , with the flesh side facing out , and a half hitch around the top of the pyramid.

3. All of them , because as they say , one mans trash is another mans treasure .

One night , Top Gun " Lawrie the Lip " and yours truly , drove up to the entrance of the Manning River.

Lozza cast his expert eye over the scene , pulled over , and much to my abject surprise , pointed to a shallow gutter and said " Here !".

Now I personally , would never have given that spot a second glance , but it produced 4/5 good Schoolies in less than an hour , so you can never tell.

Keep trying mate , sooner or later you will crack it , but one word of advice I would give you is , never fish alone , and always fish with a buddy who can use a gaff , and especially one who is not scared to risk life or limb to set it .

One day I`ll forgive a certain person from here , who allowed a jew bigger than he was , to just flap back into the drop off , coz he was scared of the dark , and a bit of rough water .

Lastly , Its best to target beaches that regularly produce Jews , not just the odd one.

But good luck Mondo , just stick at it, sooner or later you`ll succeed .

Mick

Thanks for the info Mick - very much appreciated!!

I will keep all Raiders updated on my progress re this obsession (i.e. getting my first beach Jew), and I'm sure that your tips will put me closer to success.

Now, I guess I should get the old fingers warmed up for a sandworm catching session tomorrow . . . . . need enough for several 'golf balls'. :1prop:

Mondo

thats about the same size as my Jew that I caught of coffs during my holdays..

(I just updated my last report with the details)

Only difference is that i dont like to advertize anything on my shirt :074::074::074:

(Cummon...someone had to say something about it!!!!)

Oh and nice fish by the way!!

a filet, in some oil, foil, lemon and pepper seasoning, a little salt and parsley about 180 Degrees for 23 minutes should see it right!!!!

(Its what I have been eating all week!!!!, bloodyyy Bweatiful!!!

Edited by Coach

Looks like I better get my finger out Mick & get over there :biggrin2:

Hey ken ,

Yeah mate , I thought you would have been here by now .

There are a few about , but the boys are putting in long hours catching them , apart from the odd fluke that is .

They average about 4/5 hours when the go , and when you consider that they have to catch the worms and check the spots out before dark , theres a lot to it .

And if you don`t have a 4X4 , then you have to park your car there , and hope no one interferes with while you are away .

Most of the Locals who don`t have 4x4`s , will not take the risk during the holidays , but we have not had a break in for ages.

Some smart arse kidnapped my Bike a coupple of years back and parked it on my doorstep.

Now I love a giggle as well as the next bloke , but I had a 20 & a 10 pounder in my back pack that night of all nights , and I was way up the beach .

I never found out who , but I got a get well card about a week later ( son of a B*******)

Mick