Crowding your own market

DexterCatt

So I see that Shimano have placed another reel in the 3+1 bearing, pin-through handle threadline (there's an old term) market. We now have Sienna ($60), Nexave ($75), the new Catana ($90), and Sedona ($111). Prices for the smaller sizes in the shops. I have a Sienna 2500 and a Sedona 6000. The Sedona feels a bit nicer and has a multi-washer drag. The Sienna has one metal drag washer and one felt. So this seems like a reasonable price/quality distinction. It's hard to see how two other models can be squeezed in between though.

Anyone have any insight here? Are the Catana and Nexave different in any significant way, either from each other or from the other two reels? Or is this just a marketing ploy?

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned. Sienna then Sedona them stradic then saragosa then Stella as the core reels, but there are stuff in between. 

Here's my theory, I recon they're just part of combos and they're just peddling different looks. They don't have half a dozen twin power competitors for example. Just a marketing thing as well as giving way to many options for combos. 

• Like 1