Drag tightening?

Bluebenbomb

Dear raiders,

I have recently found a Penn III battle 4000 (6:2:1) on the side of the road, about to be thrown away as rubbish along with other junk. Of course, as any other angler would do, I picked it up, thinking it would be useful in the future. Upon further investigation, the drag tightens as line is taken from it. For example, if I put the drag on the lowest setting, and I then pull the braid, it tightens enough that I can't pull anymore after ~70cms. So I was confused, and opened the reel up. I read one of the fishraider articles on drag system maintenance, but was still confused. The drag washers where covered with salt, so the reel probably was dunked into salt water and not cleaned properly. After cleaning it, I put the drag washers back together, and the problem is still present. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the drag tightening problem?

Washers are most likely compressed , either phone Penn and get a complete set sent to you-or even better replace the fibre washers with some carbontex, other issue might be that the metal washers are warped (then you need the replacment set)-mind you if there is evidence of the reel being dunked then a total clean out might be a good idea

• Like 1

Try finding an exploded view of the rèel on the Internet to make sure you have all the parts and assembled in correct order. Exploded view usually provided for identifying and ordering parts. Make sure all parts are clean and lightly greased. Warped washers can be ground smooth with fine emery paper on a sheet of glass.  Carbontex washers are the best if you want to go that far with it.  Ron 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tunastrike11 said:

I had a Okuma reel doing that once it was the piece that you tighten the drag with was moving down as the spool spins and tightening the drag try pulling it apart and give everything a good soke in some automatic trans fluid might help.

Ok... I will try that if all else fails 😁

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Washers are most likely compressed , either phone Penn and get a complete set sent to you-or even better replace the fibre washers with some carbontex, other issue might be that the metal washers are warped (then you need the replacment set)-mind you if there is evidence of the reel being dunked then a total clean out might be a good idea

Yep, good idea. 😀

48 minutes ago, noelm said:

Most drags have a washer (or two) with notches or flats on them so they can't turn, if those are missing or in the wrong place, it will tighten the drag as the spool turns.

Oh okay, so the order might be wrong?

16 minutes ago, campr said:

Try finding an exploded view of the rèel on the Internet to make sure you have all the parts and assembled in correct order. Exploded view usually provided for identifying and ordering parts. Make sure all parts are clean and lightly greased. Warped washers can be ground smooth with fine emery paper on a sheet of glass.  Carbontex washers are the best if you want to go that far with it.  Ron 

Yep, I will search that up. Thanks.

Edited by Bluebenbomb