Rock fishing with a dog

SquibblyDibbly

Hey Raiders,

Looking for a way to take my dog with me rock fishing and I've been putting my brain's energy towards MacGyvering a way to tether him securely while I'm fishing.

So far the best option I've come up with is a rock climbing "friend" which is basically a tether point you can insert in a rock crack which will expand to lock in the crack. Only drama here is the price as they start at over $100 and I'd assume they wouldn't be designed to stand up to salt water.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion?

Thanks,

SD

Edited by SquibblyDibbly

10 hours ago, SquibblyDibbly said:

Hey Raiders,

Looking for a way to take my dog with me rock fishing and I've been putting my brain's energy towards MacGyvering a way to tether him securely while I'm fishing.

So far the best option I've come up with is a rock climbing "friend" which is basically a tether point you can insert in a rock crack which will expand to lock in the crack. Only drama here is the price as they start at over $100 and I'd assume they wouldn't be designed to stand up to salt water.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion?

Thanks,

SD

Not sure a climbing friend is the way to go.

1) If it gets immersed in salt water it won't last long. They don't handle sand well either

2) a dog thats pulling on the lead (loading and unloading the friend) will result in the unit "walking" so it will likely come out or move deep into the crack where you may not be able to retrieve it.

Depending on you the platform you want to fish, if its featured enough you may be able to tie or thread a sling around a rock or bollard ... you will end up with a more multi-dimensional anchor (and cheaper too).

Good luck with it

13 hours ago, slothparade said:

It's probably worth looking and a lift jacket as well. Those rock climbing things are stainless steel, well the good ones are. 

Might want to google that mate. The only steel used in recreation climbing is in fixed anchors (bolts) and maybe the buckle on ya harness. Remembers ya gotta drag that stuff up the cliff so all carabiners and climbing protection (friends and nuts) will be made of some sort of lightweight alloy. Steel carabiners and other hardware are only really used in industrial and rescue situations. I don't think there is a market for industrial "friends" so am not sure they would even exist in 316 SS. Probably excessively expensive if they are available.

If ya climbing on sea cliffs regularly you quickly learn to rinse your friends (aka cams/slcds) after each trip or you will start noticing service rust almost immediately. This would happen way more quickly on a rock platform as there is actual saltwater and sand around not just the "spooge" you get on the cliffs from the wind and humidity.

Not trying to be an argumentative dill on this mate, was just trying to help the opening poster. I agree a life jacket for both dog and human would be a good idea.

1 hour ago, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Might want to google that mate. The only steel used in recreation climbing is in fixed anchors (bolts) and maybe the buckle on ya harness. Remembers ya gotta drag that stuff up the cliff so all carabiners and climbing protection (friends and nuts) will be made of some sort of lightweight alloy. Steel carabiners and other hardware are only really used in industrial and rescue situations. I don't think there is a market for industrial "friends" so am not sure they would even exist in 316 SS. Probably excessively expensive if they are available.

If ya climbing on sea cliffs regularly you quickly learn to rinse your friends (aka cams/slcds) after each trip or you will start noticing service rust almost immediately. This would happen way more quickly on a rock platform as there is actual saltwater and sand around not just the "spooge" you get on the cliffs from the wind and humidity.

Not trying to be an argumentative dill on this mate, was just trying to help the opening poster. I agree a life jacket for both dog and human would be a good idea.

Thanks for clarifying, I was just flicking through yt shorts when I came across a guy hammering on and on about his stainless steel rock climbing stuff. Just thought it might have been helpful to relay that info. 

Can definitely understand the issue of weight though. 

Thanks for correcting though. Sorry about the misguidance. 

Not that long ago I did see an ad for dog life jackets for sale.  

Many years ago I used to moar against a bridge using a masonary anchor with a ring attached.  I would insert expanding section in concrete joint crack and tighten to jam in place then loosen and remove when finished.   If rocks have suitable cracks you could try so you can tie dog leash to ring.  Ron