Haines signature df470 or seafarer vogue 5.2

Washitup

Help us out guys I’m looking at the 2 boats in the title can’t decide wich one to choose. I have been in talks for both guys selling the boats and I am very keen to pull the trigger and make purchase but just can’t decide! Any info on either model pros or cons would be much appreciated. 

cheers 

Yeah this is true. I have been let down the last couple of inspections iv been talked all the talk on the phone and show up to somthing worth half the price. It’s beyond me how ppl can post a boat for sale 15k and have ppl turn up and the thing is full of dirt and shit every where not just abit of dust but weeks or months of rain then dirt build up and expect top dolla. If that’s how they “look after” the hull when it’s for sale imagine how it treated 

• Haha 1

Haven't been in either but both were good brands.  Many years ago a mate had a Vsea Seafarer which was a fantastic sea boat.  Haines were also very impressive.  Like all fibreglass boats, make sure you go over all parts of the transom and floor to check for any irregularities and don,t be afraid of giving these areas a good thumping to check for internal rot.  Good luck and enjoy your purchase.  Ron

• Like 1

12 hours ago, campr said:

Haven't been in either but both were good brands.  Many years ago a mate had a Vsea Seafarer which was a fantastic sea boat.  Haines were also very impressive.  Like all fibreglass boats, make sure you go over all parts of the transom and floor to check for any irregularities and don,t be afraid of giving these areas a good thumping to check for internal rot.  Good luck and enjoy your purchase.  Ron

Cheers legend yes both reputable brands and have stood the time but as all older  glass boats rot is a big problem. can only really do visual inspection of floor and walking test for soft spots? As for transom applying pressure on the out board and looking for any movement across the transom. Is there any other tests I can do on-site to try and indicate if any rot has set in to vessel? 

5 hours ago, Washitup said:

Cheers legend yes both reputable brands and have stood the time but as all older  glass boats rot is a big problem. can only really do visual inspection of floor and walking test for soft spots? As for transom applying pressure on the out board and looking for any movement across the transom. Is there any other tests I can do on-site to try and indicate if any rot has set in to vessel? 

Look for soft spots, stain marks (wet ply will swell and weep) around any cracks in gelcoat, or holes that penetrate to the ply eg engine mounting bolts through the transom.

There are instruments that can measure moisture content. When I sold my Haines earlier this year, the buyer paid a marine engineering company to check the boat out (around $5-600) which included a full written report on condition of hull/motor (with water test, engine compression test etc etc) and trailer ... and estimated cost of any repairs.  I was very impressed with the level of detail and thoroughness - but being the seller I didn't get to see the report - only the buyer who paid for the report saw it. In my case the 32yr old hull passed all inspections and tests and a sale was made around my asking price.  Not sure how much you're planning to spend on the rig but the $5-600 is easy to justify with peace of mind - and whatever you learn from the inspection report can be used in the negotiation.
Anyway PM me if you are interested in the company details. 
cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2