Losing flatties

frogbat

Hey guys. 

Using 3 & 4" gulp paddle tails.

I would say i land around 1 in 5. The rest, i feel the weight, start winding in only to find the plastic gets dropped moments later..

Getting really annoying.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

:1welcomeani: @frogbat!

This can happen to the best of us on a bad day, but let's check some basics.

Firstly, are your hooks sharp? Specifically do they catch on your fingernail when you run it along your nail at 90 degrees? This is the threshold by which I work. If they aren't, then a touch up with a sharpening stone does wonders. As will upgrading your jigheads to chemically sharpened models.

Secondly, do you just start winding when you feel the weight, or do you give a bit of a strike with the rod? Sometimes when I can feel the weight and I've been dropping hits, I give it a few extra strikes to ensure the hookset.

Finally, if you feel a hit but don't yet feel the weight, try stopping dead and waiting a bit. Often I count to three after feeling the characteristic 'thunk' on the end of the line, and then strike. You'd be surprised how long a flatty will hang onto a plastic, especially with gulps. I think it's been said here before that often flatties will pick up a lure and then take it back to the bottom to eat it.

I find in the colder months a lot of the flatties I catch are barely lip hooked.

• Like 4

Good advice above from @Little_Flatty and @rickmarlin62

Just to add, when you strike, strike hard. The flathead will often have it’s jaws clamped down tight on the lure and a half hearted strike will not set the hook. 

Other misses can be from fish just grabbing the tail of the plastic behind the hook. When this is happening, apply some scent to lure, particularly to the area in front of the hook.

Tail grabbers can also be hooked by dropping down to a smaller plastic, encouraging the fish to engulf the whole lure.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone.

Yes i will:

Bend the hooks alittle.

Check sharpness.

When next i feel the flatty weight I'll give the flatty some additional time to swallow that plastic. Before giving rod a decent twitch or 2 to set that hook.

Finally. I use home made scent but I'll stop scenting the whole plastic and only scent above the hook.

See how i go next time... And I'll report back.

Thanks again everyone.

frogbat 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Welcome aboard.

Super info. above.

Try some Zman sp's.

Cheers.

Thanks Rebel.

Can u recommend a zman?

I use gulp paddle shads because 1 i have found them effective and 2 i like to feel that tail vibrate.

Mate, like all of us you have to experiment & yes that can be expensive.

I use TT Jigheads.

Anything that says motor oil or strawberry, around 3'' to 4''.

Must use scent.

What ever you do do not mix Zman lures with other lures. Disaster. Keep them seperate.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Dont use heavy gauge jigheads designed for snapper/offshore fish etc-they just wont penetrate , there are a lot of hooks out there with ski jump barbs , file them off they make no difference at all when trying to stay connected to a fish , they just make a decent initial hookup harder to achieve. 

• Like 4

Here are a few more I have used. All Zman

Slim Swim Z  midnight oil.GrubZ  Pumpkinseed. Also in motor oil.

TRD CrawZ  watermelon red. Also in motor oil.

If you want to catch Bream.

Holt Productions Lures.

3'' & 4'' Swim Prawn.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 2