Savage Osprey 4.88

CrabbaDabbaDoo

Hi and thanks for the add.

I’ve just bought 1989 Savage Osprey 4.88 which is ideal for what I need. It’s got a 2016 60hp Command thrust Mercury with only 15 hours which is a big tick.

anyway I’m after information on the hull thickness on this boat. I’ve been told that being an older hull it’s thicker than the modern stuff, but I don’t know what that thickness is?

It will be quite thin, having "clinker" sides adds strength, most boats that size were 1.6 -2mm side thickness, some had slightly thicker bottoms, but most didn't. The design and quality of the welds determines strength, thousands of old, well built thin boats are still fine, and lots of cheap built newer, thicker ones are not.

• Like 1

HI. Back in those days hull thickness was'nt an issue like it is now days. they were advertised with different comfort and performance features but rarely  had the thickness of the material used as a selling point.

The Savage range of boats have long been one of the best sold in Australia and the Osprey were among the best of their size.

I currently have the Osprey's big brother the Savage Lancer 5.3 with a 90hp ETec on it's rear and this boat will be up for sale in the very near future.

I also have a later version of the Osprey the Savage Scorpion 485 SF which is my current user boat, it also has a 90hp ETec motor 

on it's rear .

As long as the hull has no splits or cancer in it the boat should give you plenty of years good service.

How about some photos of her ?.

Frank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frankS said:

HI. Back in those days hull thickness was'nt an issue like it is now days. they were advertised with different comfort and performance features but rarely  had the thickness of the material used as a selling point.

The Savage range of boats have long been one of the best sold in Australia and the Osprey were among the best of their size.

I currently have the Osprey's big brother the Savage Lancer 5.3 with a 90hp ETec on it's rear and this boat will be up for sale in the very near future.

I also have a later version of the Osprey the Savage Scorpion 485 SF which is my current user boat, it also has a 90hp ETec motor 

on it's rear .

As long as the hull has no splits or cancer in it the boat should give you plenty of years good service.

How about some photos of her ?.

Frank

I’ll do that when I get her cleaned up 👍

this is about my 30th boat, and 8th savage. I like them as they r well built