Daiwa vs Shimano

Tomfisho

Both equally good when comparing gear at similar pricing.   I have a pretty equal mix of both.  Repairs or parts are easyer for Shimano for me as I live near their home at Taren Point.  Just check specs for what you need and compare and if equal for your needs choose on price.   Ron 

• Like 1

Both excellent companies. If they didn't make good products then with all the competition out there they wouldn't stay in business.

Question is a little too open ended. Are you comparing a Saltist series with a Raider. A Twinpower with a Saltiga.

My response depends partly on your budget. In a similar price range it is more likely to come down to personal preference than relative "build quality". You get what you pay for.

I lean towards Shimano because I've been really happy with their products and their aftersales service has been so good to me (when I worked near their Taren Point offices) but I also own several Daiwa outfits.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard.

Both overpriced.

I buy Penn gear. Their reels have improved over the past couple of years.

Penn rods are great especially the Penn Prevail range.

Abu Garcia  Veritas rods are excellent.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1

I own several of both Daiwa and Shimano spin reels and must admit, overall I have a preference toward the Shimanos.

Firstly, I service all my own reels and in that regard I'm not a big fan of Mag Sealed Daiwas as its difficult, if not near impossible to purchase the magnetic oil and just don't bother with the stuff.

Secondly, I prefer the smoothness and strength of Shimanos worm drive oscilation system over Daiwa's locomotive gearing.

Lastly, in regard to parts supply, I get far better service from Shimano. Living on the south coast, I can give them a call at their head office, order the parts and pay over the phone. Usually they're delivered within 2 or three days. 

Rebel also raises a good point in that there's plenty of good gear out there, other than what's supplied by the big 2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a Shimano Stella (4000FK)  and a number of Daiwa Certates (2500, 3000 and 6000). The Certates get used 90% of the time. The Stella is a fine reel, I just seem to prefer the Certates plus they come in significantly cheaper. Recently I dropped my 2500 off the boat, it was submerged for 15 minutes until recovered. I sent it in for a service as it got a bit scratchy, they replaced all the seals and bearings at no charge. Took 4 or 5 days there and back. 

I don't know much about fishing but I do know a fair bit about customer service. Daiwa has my vote.

Sorry folks but after almost 40 years of fishing my perfect combo has been diawa reels with  shimano rods. Whether it was BG's with taipan i don't know but it has worked.  But everyone has there own choice. There's so many combinations out there you just have to find what works