Spanner Rod and Reel

lostincable

Hi everyone 

I am setting up a new to me boat and looking for a recommendation for rod and reel combos that would suit spanner and kingfish for inshore reefs in Sydney.

Dont want to overspend as I’ll need to buy a few of them but open to any ideas!

What are others using?

Hi @lostincable, you’ll be setting up for reverse ends of the scale: Kingies  need a solid rod such as Shimano Terez, Daiwa Demon blood (my favourite is theD.B. CJ64 one piece) with a robust reel - Shimano Saragossa 10,000, Penn Slammer 850 etc, wth 65lb braid and 80lb fluro leader. Snapper are the reverse, light rod and reel. I use a lighter Terez and ugly stick with Shimano Thunnus 4000 -5000 and a Daiwa B&G (black and gold) 4000-5000 with 20lb braid and 20lb fluro leader. In my opinion, most fishos fish far too heavy for snapper and far to light for Kingies - only my opinion.

• Like 1

Setting up a new boat, you will need at least two boats and 40 rods and somewhere to hide them from the Mrs.

Seriously though have a look at the Shimano grappler range of rods, these are so much nicer to use than the Shimano range from just a few years ago. Personally I don't like big heavy outfits and only used them if Im needing lots of line capacity on the likes of bigger game off the shelf, where I will up my spin reel to a 10000 in order to hold 500m of braid. Ive never been spooled.

Most 10,000 sized reels will have at least 15kg-20kg of drag, which is more than most people will use. I would most defiantly fit into the lighter class angler as I rarely go above my 6000 Saragossa on the kings we get around Montague island. I also find that size can pull an 80kg bronze whaler to the boat in about 15 mins using the boat to work the shark. I use a fair few stradic reels which are lighter than many other reels of similar size.

Chassing a few snapper yesterday I used a B63-2 grappler which which is now my favourite rod for that lighter tackle, it comes in both spin and bait cast build. This rod has great action even on very small fish but also handled red emperor, large mouth nanigui and other species in the 6-8kg on my recent trip away. The grappler braid is also great to use with this combo, with 20lb being my pick.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1