Are these weeds blackfish baits?

DexterCatt

Hello raiders, 

I was down on some rocks in Botany Bay today. There was cabbage/lettuce weed to be found, sometimes close cropped, others quite leafy. 

My question though is can anyone please identify these varieties as shown in the attached pics, and tell me if they are any value as bait. 

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_20221106_091834.jpg

IMG_20221106_091723.jpg

On 11/6/2022 at 4:40 PM, Volitan said:

Both look like Ulva intestinalis to me.

More info on Wikipedia.

and yep, blackfish love it.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to weed baits. What puzzled me is that one had the texture of hair, and the other of string. So is it that the weed can take different textures, perhaps depending on habitat, age, or something else? 

8 hours ago, DexterCatt said:

Thanks for the info. I'm new to weed baits. What puzzled me is that one had the texture of hair, and the other of string. So is it that the weed can take different textures, perhaps depending on habitat, age, or something else? 

There are different species of weed and many have different textures. Some are known by fishermen as string weed, wire weed, horse hair and there’s many more. It can also have another texture during different stages of it’s growth.

Most types are effective on their day and if possible, it pays to have a few different types when fishing. Some days the fish will favour one weed over all others, the next day the opposite can be the case. It pays to be prepared for all scenarios.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DexterCatt said:

Yep, what you say is true - one species will grow in many different ways according to habitat, time of year etc.

the first one is U. Intestinalis - 100% sure about that. The second one less sure - probably the same plant growing in winter, fully submerged - but would have to see it close to be sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Volitan said:

Yep, what you say is true - one species will grow in many different ways according to habitat, time of year etc.

the first one is U. Intestinalis - 100% sure about that. The second one less sure - probably the same plant growing in winter, fully submerged - but would have to see it close to be sure.

I reckon you’re right. When it gets a bit more sun and less water it tends to grow thicker and softer. Seems to grow intertidal where some fresh/rainwater runoff kicks it along.

• Like 1